trailhead camping at mono pass trailhead yosemite

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: trailhead camping at mono pass trailhead yosemite

Post by FeetFirst »

maverick wrote:Hi Drembo,
PS Have you already resevered a permit? If you have a permit than you can use the
Tuolumne Backpackers campground.
Quick question about the Backpackers Campground: are you suppose to have the actual permit in hand or will the reservation confirmation letter showing entry the next day suffice? It seems to me like it fits the spirit of the rule, but my logic on such things has failed me in the past.

I ask because I'm planning a trip from Tuolomne Meadows (Lyell Canyon) down to Reds Meadow in August and will be arriving late, well after the Wilderness Center closes, the night before the entry date. Therefore, I won't be able to pick up my permit until early the morning of and as far as I know Yose NP won't hold permits in a night box, which puts me in a bit of a pickle.

I've actually used the Backpackers Campground at TM a few times in the past, but I always arrived in time to get my permit. Furthermore, all of these times I never once saw anyone checking permits, so I'll probably be fine, but I'm not one to ignore NP rules.

From the website:

2. Can I camp in the frontcountry the night before or after by backpacking trip?

Wilderness permit holders may spend one night prior to, and one night after, a backpacking trip in a backpackers' campground (summer only). This service is especially helpful for those who have gotten a first-come, first-served permit the day before beginning their hike.

Backpackers' campgrounds are available for wilderness permit holders to spend one night before and one night after a wilderness trip. Camping is limited to one night at a time. Reservations are neither necessary nor required. However, a valid wilderness permit is required to stay at the campground. The fee is $5 per person (pay using envelopes at the campground). Parking is not available directly at campgrounds; instead park at designated overnight parking areas and walk to the backpackers' campground.

Tuolumne Meadows: These sites are inside the Tuolumne Meadows Campground, behind the A loop. Open July through late September (approximately).

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/l ... eID=412372" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

As stated above, Yosemite Valley Backpacker camp and Tuolumne Backpacker camp never fill, don't require a reservation, and to my knowledge, anyone with the "right" equipment has never been turned away - one night only, $5 pp. This means if you don't have a 2-story tent, couple of lawn chairs, and a big ice chest, and...
(rule #1) you have a good attitude as well as real backpacking gear, you can always stay.

In Tuolumne BP camp, the rangers are seldom seen up the hill - self policed...probably the cleanest camp in Tuolumne. The rangers Valley continuously check things out at their BP camp, popping in frequently until dark. They know what's going on, and have seen it all...be cool.

Best advice both sites is find a hole/any available flat spot anywhere inside the boundaries, and set up - welcome! People do come in late daily/ often way late. Do everyone a favor and turn down headlamps after you find a spot?

You asked about having permit in hand before entering? The rules state that you are supposed to have permit in hand before, but...
If you come in by bus, no permit needed -
If you ride a bike in, no permit needed,
and finally, if you have your printed notification, come in after the Wilderness office closes, and follow (rule #1), no further permit will be needed. Yosemite is enlightened, a great attitude towards real backpackers. Jen, head wilderness ranger Tuolumne, will size you up in seconds. (I could write stories.) Don't blow it with attitude. If in the Valley, say hi to Ranger Dave, head bear honcho and almost a fisherman.
If leaving/parking a car in Valley (always nice to hike to the car) - Curry Orchard is safe w/ convenient bear boxes and Shuttle bus friendly.
Mountainman who swims with trout
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by overheadx2 »

I did the hike from TM to the valley 2 years ago and after getting my permit headed for the back packer camp. When I got there, I would say that 1/3 were just walk in camping with chairs, large tents and coolers, 1/4 were cycling and the rest were backpackers. There was no spaces left so we camped off to the side a ways. The ranger came by and advised us it was not a spot so I told her as soon as she checked permits we would surely have a site to camp. She looked around and then decided we were fine where we were. Very friendly crowd which is nice since you may have to spoon up with other campers and share a box. Get there as early as possible mid summer.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

markskor wrote: You asked about having permit in hand before entering? The rules state that you are supposed to have permit in hand before, but...
If you come in by bus, no permit needed -
If you ride a bike in, no permit needed,
and finally, if you have your printed notification, come in after the Wilderness office closes, and follow (rule #1), no further permit will be needed. Yosemite is enlightened, a great attitude towards real backpackers. Jen, head wilderness ranger Tuolumne, will size you up in seconds. (I could write stories.) Don't blow it with attitude. If in the Valley, say hi to Ranger Dave, head bear honcho and almost a fisherman.
If leaving/parking a car in Valley (always nice to hike to the car) - Curry Orchard is safe w/ convenient bear boxes and Shuttle bus friendly.
FYI - I just received my emailed Wilderness Permit Reservation Confirmation from Yose and was pleased to see, "This confirmation email provides authorization for you to stay in a backpackers campsite in park campgrounds one night before and one night after your trip. The cost is $5.00 per person per night."
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.