North Fork Big Pine Creek (July 7-9)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
scottawr
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

North Fork Big Pine Creek (July 7-9)

Post by scottawr »

Pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/98779591@N ... 579885441/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My dad and I went on a 2.5 day trip to the north fork big pine creek, it was his first time in the sierra since 2007 and he was very excited for "the return". WE had different expectations for this trip he wanted to relax and fly fish in big mountain scenery, and i wanted to make my young legs sore packing as much into a short trip as I could.

we started up the dry trail at about 10am after driving 5hrs from orange county that morning. we started slow because he isn't in the best shape of his life taking plenty of breaks and enjoying the wildflower display. we finally reached the 2nd lake and set up camp and took in the views of temple crag and the beautiful blue lakes. the slight breeze kept ALL of the mosquito away that night.

day 2 started early we hiked from 2nd lake up to summit lake great scenery was all around us the entire way. after setting up camp at summit ay around noon I left my dad to read and fish the lake while I explored the rest of the basin. My first plans were to bag cloudripper for my first sierra peak, but i decided to change my plans and go for the glacier instead. I ran back past fourth lake and up the glacier trail reaching Sam Mack meadow at around 1. still itching for a scramble
I headed up to Sam Mack lake took some pictures I was definitely feeling the altitude up at 11,700 but I still had plenty of energy and made my way back into the meadow and up the glacier trail. the climb up the glacier was slow and tough but that wasn't going to stop me especially with the expansive views of the basin. when i finally reached the glacier I chatted with gentlemen who was going for a palisade traverse wish him luck and retreated back down the trail.

I finally made it back to summit lake around 5-6 just in time for some C&R fishing and a fat kielbasa dinner. My dad caught 6-7 rainbow hybrids and one brown trout all in the 6-7 inch range, and I managed to catch a nice size hybrid before sunset. took in the stars for a few minutes then retreated to my tent. mosquito were not an issue and I only had three bites the whole weekend.

Day three we woke up took in the nice reflection of the palisades in the lake and fished for a few minutes. after i hooked a brownie we called it a trip and decided to pack out past black lake where a deer crossed our path. It was a long sunny/dry hike out my dad had half-dollar size blisters on his heels, but a fantastic trip to the sierras for my birthday(July 8 always has perfect weather :) ).
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: North Fork Big Pine Creek (July 7-9)

Post by maverick »

Perfect way to spend you birthday (Happy Birthday Scott!) and having your dad
along is icing on the cake. :)
Pretty photos, always love seeing the turquoise lakes, especially from above on
the way to the glacier. Very pretty Tiger Lilies and Mountain Heather! Did you
by any chance see any big gardens of any wild flowers (single or multiple species)
in the basin?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Nice photos. I'm headed that way in a few weeks. Thank you for whetting my appetite!
scottawr
Topix Novice

Post by scottawr »

the entire basin had abundant flowers over the weekend.

just beyond the cabin there was a garden with 7-8 varieties crammed in 30yds of trail. I just happen to
have this video of the section. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcHCWaDI3xA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the trail above lake 3 had some more sections with 3-4 varieties nestled in skunk cabbage patches.

the glacier trail from the stream that feeds lake 3 up to the meadow had all 6-7 varieties clustered together. when the trail tops out at the meadow there was a huge patch of shooting stars.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the 411 and video. :thumbsup:

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rileySB
Topix Novice

Post by rileySB »

Nice TR and great set of photos! Headed out to the Sierras next week and would like to ask you some questions. How far from TH to the lakes basin is it? Was it tough hiking? Wondering if I can do this as a long day trip hike depending on how far it is from TH to basin. Looks like your dad had fun catching some good looking fish!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Riley,

It is approx 11.6 miles round trip from Glacier Lodge to Second Lake and back
with a 2094 elevation gain. If you did the extra small loop which included Black
Lake it would be 14.2 miles with another 700 feet of elevation gain.

Pulpit
Topix Acquainted

Post by Pulpit »

Thanks for sharing. Heading out there the last week of August with my brother and 4yo nephew. A few nights of car camping at the Big Pine Creek campground sandwiching an attempt to take the kid up there for his first backpacking experience. He was an all star on his first car camping trip up there last year so we are cautiously optimistic. I'll post a TR sometime upon return!

Here are some pictures from last year.............the look on the kid's face says it all!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.