Logistics question for upcoming trips

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Buford
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Logistics question for upcoming trips

Post by Buford »

Hi all,
I am planning 2 trips this year and need some advice.

Mineral King-Timber Gap-Redwood Meadow-Bear Paw Meadow-Hamilton Lakes-Kaweah Gap-Little 5 Lakes-Big 5 Lakes- then out over Sawtooth Pass or Franklin Pass

Lodgepole-Twin Lakes-Stillman Pass-Roaring River-Deadman Canyon-Elizabeth Pass-Bear Paw Meadow- then out along the High Sierra Trail to Crescent Meadow or up seven mile hill and out at Wolverton.

My questions are mainly logistics questions. I can start one trip on Thursday August 22 and one on Saturday September 7th. I would arrive and camp the night before each time. I would like to do the Lodgepole trip 1st, but this may not be the easiest logistics wise.

1. What are the chances of Arriving Friday September 6th in Mineral King at ~7pm and getting a campsite at Cold Springs, preferred, or Atwell? This is after labor day. I assume arriving Wednesday August 21st would make it easy to get a site at Mineral King? I really don't want to drive all the way up that road and get shutout.

2. If I do the Lodgepole "loop" 1st, I can take the shuttle back to my car. If I do the Lodgepole loop in September, the shuttle will not longer be running. How easy is it to hitch from Crescent Meadow to Lodgepole? Scenery wise, is it better to take the trail from Bear Paw Meadow to Crescent Meadow, or Bear Paw Meadow to Wolverton?

3. I have seen many trip reports on this site and others for these trails. Any advice on sidetrips or camp spots?

I'll post up trip reports here when I get back.

Level 2 experience. Only prior trip in the Sierra Nevada or any mountains was the Rae Lakes loop last year.
Mainly level 1 terrain. Locally, I have no problem scrambling up the canyons in Anza Borrego that are mainly class 2. I am not interested in any cross country passes.

Main interests
Big Mountain Scenery
Lakes
Big Views

Thanks
RooPhillip
Topix Regular

Re: Logistics question for upcoming trips

Post by RooPhillip »

Buford, check your PMs...
Saltydog
Topix Acquainted

Post by Saltydog »

I haven't been in or out of Wolverton, but I can't imagine that it can beat the trip into Crescent on any score. You will have been gazing up and down over the Kaweah for some time, but that trail has new eye candy around every twist and turn, Besides, do you really want to get to Mehrten with an easy 5 mile cruise left, and then have to go up and over, into the woods?: I wouldn't
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

I always go out through wolverton. Love the views from the alta trail, and it is cooler hiking.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

1. You should not have any problem getting a site at Cold Springs or Atwell
Campground, AT has 21 first come, first served sites, and CG has 39 + 9 walk-in
sites available.
http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/atwell.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/cold_springs.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2. Both Crescent Meadow and Wolverton are nice, but by the time of your trip
it will be dry and depending on the time of day, warm/hot, so would take
the Wolverton option. Plus if you need to get back to Lodgepole it is just
less than 2 miles by trail.

3. Can't recommend campsites or side trips because you have not indicated the length
of each trip, or how many miles a day you are comfortable with.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Buford
Topix Acquainted

Post by Buford »

Thanks all for the info so far. I know it will be dry up there.

I guess I left out distances and time.

A side trip(s) of 1-5 miles are what I am interested in. Something that doesn't require serious routefinding/navigation. Some easy non technical cross country is ok. Based on the Rae Lakes loop trip last year. I plan on the trips being 4.5 days and 40-60 miles. 12-16 mile days are about right.

From previous trip reports it looks like Big Bird Lake or some exploring of Nine Lake Basin would be within my ability and distances for the trips. I was looking for other similar side trips. I know both are somewhat off trail.

For the Mineral King loop, what are the pros and cons scenery wise of Lost Canyon and Sawtooth pass vs. Soda Creek and Franklin Pass.

Maverick, awesome photos on your website. They make me want to visit all of those places.
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

I didn't find Big Bird Lake that nice compared to areas nearby: Tableland, the two lakes (10435' and 10360'+) between Tableland Pass and big Bird Lake, Deadman Canyon, Elizabeth Pass.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

I just finished a trip that started at Lodgepole and ended there after 11 days and over 110 miles through Deadman and Cloud Canyons. I would definitely recommend going up Elizabeth Pass from the North and not the South...the South side is irregularly maintained and actually the trail is quite non existent for at least a mile and a half..I found myself losing the trail going downhill quite regularly. It's also steeper and more brutal from the south than it is from the North. Your trip description shows you going from the North so I definitely recommend that. I also believe there is a shuttle from Lodgepole to Crescent Meadow and from Lodgepole to Wolverton. There is a large and very extensive shuttle service in Sequoia National Park. Hope that helps.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;