20 Lakes Basin or Little Lakes Valley for my 8 year old

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Ska-T
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 20 Lakes Basin or Little Lakes Valley for my 8 year old

Post by Ska-T »

TCHN DAD wrote: 5. Was altitude and issue?
If you are introducing a person to backpacking it is a good idea to read up on altitude sickness (acute mountain sickness, AMS) so you can recognize the symptoms and respond appropriately.

I took my daughter and son to Little Lake Valley for their first trip. They were 7 1/2 and 4 yrs old, respectively. My daughter was not affected by the altitude while my son was. I later learned that I could take him up from Los Angeles (sea level) to about 7,500 ft the first day, go up about another 1,000 to 1.500 ft the next day, and by the third day he was OK for high Sierra altitudes.

Years later my backpacking buddy took his family to LLV and his son, about 12 yrs old, also got altitude sickness. So be aware and be ready to "cut and run" back to lower elevations.

One nice thing about LLV is that you can get back to the car in short order and quickly drive down the mountain.
snowblind
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: 20 Lakes Basin or Little Lakes Valley for my 8 year old

Post by snowblind »

We hiked in midweek. My kid felt the altitude a little on the second day (he got a bit of a headache). I rarely find it too cold at night esp. in a tent, however, conditions are naturally less predictable at that altitude.

You can get permits from here (http://www.recreation.gov/permits/Inyo_ ... rkId=72203" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). If the day you want is not available, they also have 10/day for walk-ins (just be at the ranger station at 8am and you should be good). Also, there are many campsites in the Rock Creek area that should work for your trailer.

Although definitely a harder hike, as your son is a little older another nice trip would be over Piute Pass.