TR: Agnew Meadows, Garnet Lake, Shadow Creek Area 6/28-7/2

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Silverfox
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

TR: Agnew Meadows, Garnet Lake, Shadow Creek Area 6/28-7/2

Post by Silverfox »

Just got back from scenic trip from Agnew Meadows up the River Trail to Garnet Lake, back through the JMT and Shadow Creek Trail. Brought along three students from backpacking class all first timers. We had many good experiences, a river crossing, a little route finding going up to Garnet Lake, and an afternoon shower, and lots of beautiful scenery and tranquility. First day got a late afternoon start and made it to a nice little campsite along the river trail about 4 miles from Agnew Meadows trailhead. Got there just in time to cook dinner, set up camp before dark. Day 2 - Were headed to 1000 Island, but every person we encountered gave us a dismal report about the mosquitos, so we diverted to Garnet Lake instead, after crossing the river and trekking the short but steep trail to the inlet of Garnet Lake
100_0328.JPG
Wise decision, the mosquitos at Garnet Lake were light during the day, and the nice afternoon breeze left us pleasant afternoons to swim and enjoy the scenery.
100_0309.JPG
100_0321.JPG
Day 4- Headed out on JMT to Shadow Creek area, the Shadow Creek Trail was absolutely gorgeous, stopped for lunch and hunkered down for an afternoon rain shower.
100_0353.JPG
100_0365.JPG
Headed home with great experience and memories.

Silverfox
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Silverfox on Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Agnew Meadows, Garnet Lake, Shadow Creek Area 6/28-7/2

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the TR and pretty pictures. How did the newbies enjoy the scenery
at one of the Sierras finest locations? Are they hooked? When is the next trip? :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Silverfox
Topix Acquainted

Post by Silverfox »

The newbies loved the scenery, it was the motivating factor to see such amazing places. One is inspired to see and do more. Hopefully, take a new group next year. Taking a personal trip with my son along the High Sierra Trail in a few weeks.

Thanks,
Silverfox
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

What a wonderful way to introduce newcomers to the backcountry! We really do need more people like you doing this. Preserving our wilderness depends upon being sure that new generations appreciate it. Thank you!
SoxGolf00
Topix Novice

Post by SoxGolf00 »

I will be making that hike Aug 23-25th. Will be my break in hike. Glad to see some pics since I haven't been there is no long. I will be doing that hike with dad. He was the one who took me on that hike when I was 12 years old.
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Tom_H »

Beautiful pics. Thanks for posting.