Trip advice, Wishon to Goddard. What else?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AaronRDavis
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Trip advice, Wishon to Goddard. What else?

Post by AaronRDavis »

Experience:
Level 3- Numerous backpacking trips, some x-country travel.

Terrain comfortable with:
- Class 1 terrain/trail hiking
- Class 2 terrain/pass/x-country
- Class 3 terrain/pass/x-country
- River crossings

What is your main interest?
- Big Mountain scenery
- Photography
- Fishing(a bonus, but not mandatory on this trip)

6 days/5 nights
Willing to do 15-18 miles for first/last days of trip. Average of 10 during middle days to allow for exploration.

Kind of tired of Florence lake trailhead, interested in Wishon/courtright entrance points.

Our main goal is to bag Mount Goddard. Beyond that, what would you reccommend? We don't need to see McGee/Evolution basins this trip. Ionian looks awesome. Is there a lot to do/see near Blackcap/Red Mountain basin, or should we focus on the eastern side of Leconte divide?

How would you carry out a 5 night trip from Wishon trailhead?
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip advice, Wishon to Goddard. What else?

Post by paul »

Blackcap and Red Mtn. Basins are fabulous, and Bench valley I hear is also, If I were lucky enough to be in your shoes, I'd go through Blackcap, and if you have time, loop back by going a little south down the east side of the White Divide , crossing back over either at Finger Col or by way of Blue Canyon Pass and Mantle Pass. Or if you want more trail on the way back, return by Way of Hell For Sure Pass. It's all nice around there.
AaronRDavis
Topix Regular

Post by AaronRDavis »

Thank you, sounds like there will be a lot of choices in this area. More advice welcome..
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

I would go out of Courtright for a shorter walk up, head into Blackcap, visit Confusion Lake, Martha Lake, Goddard, then bust a move back on trail (it's a faint trail in places, but it's there) over Hell for Sure to visit Red Mountain Basin. Visiting the lakes there can be a day of wandering and fishing, stay at the punchbowl, then cross country to Bench via the two-saddle pass uphill of Big and LIttle Shot. Bench is worth a couple of days all its own, but it's a nice place to tour lake to lake looking for rainbows. Go down to the river and stop off for a swim in the pools before doing the last hump to Post Corral and over to the trailhead.

Fire bans in place - be safe out there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Aaron,

Would recommend to hike as far as you can get the first day out of Wishon
and then proceed with the following route: Finger Col>Lake 10232>Ionian Basin (Goddard)>Confusion Pass.
Lake 10232 is beautiful and should be on your list to visit while in that area.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AaronRDavis
Topix Regular

Post by AaronRDavis »

What is the terrain like from below Finger Col/Lake 10232 area back up towards mt. Goddard? On the map it doesn't look bad but I feel like I have read about it requiring a ton of bushwacking.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Bushwacking section is before Goddard Creek meets Kings River in Tehipite Valley.
Goddard Creek up into Ionian is straight forward just as the map indicates.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AaronRDavis
Topix Regular

Post by AaronRDavis »

Thanks again for the info. I am getting excited just thinking about this trip.
pez_leon
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by pez_leon »

You've picked a great part of the Sierra. I posted a trip report from a great loop in the area here: viewtopic.php?f=1&p=34192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . I can't recommend it enough. Feel free to reply or PM with questions.

James
AaronRDavis
Topix Regular

Post by AaronRDavis »

It looks like there are a few different trails from Wishon to Cathedral lake/Finger peak. Anyone have advice on a preferred route? Any xcountry shortcuts through this area?