Hoover wilderness quotas

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Splash
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Hoover wilderness quotas

Post by Splash »

Hi Everyone,

I am heading up to the Sierra July 4th. And would like to pack in the Hoover Wilderness. Of course we'll need a first come permit. Does anyone know the trailhead quota limits. I phoned the Bridgeport office; and they we're no help. I was thinking about Green Creek. If it seems impossible to get a permit for two then maybe we should hike into the Emigrant Wilderness. We can hike 10 miles a day but would prefer 5 miles and so would our dog. Or maybe hike 10 the first day and a few the second; then work our way back out. Fishing is a real important part of our backpacking.
Does anyone have any information or suggestions?

Splash
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: Hoover wilderness quotas

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have never had any trouble getting a walk-in permit in Hoover Wilderness. But I have never tried this on 4th of July. I am not sure they even have trail quotas. In the past, they have been laid back about it all. I too looked on their webpage and no mention of permits. They just said as of this year, bear canisters are required.
no2haven
Topix Acquainted

Post by no2haven »

They do have quotas, but they're pretty large (~15-20 if I remember correctly). As of a couple of years ago you could only get day-of walk up permits (unlike Yosemite), so it wasn't hard to get one if you're outside the ranger station in Bridgeport about a half hour before they open. However, Green Creek is fairly popular, so you might have competition...if so, the Virginia Lakes trailhead links to the same area and would be an option if you can deal with the higher elevation out of the gate. It seemed less popular, and I saw a lot of fishermen in that lake basin.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Splash
Topix Acquainted

Post by Splash »

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the advice...
So hiked Green Creek last weekend. No problem getting same day permit for two. July 4th saw only one or two other backpacker groups and maybe one or two tents pitched but no people.. Saw a few day hikers. I expected more. Camped at Summit lake..great place .never saw another person there.. rained with lighting for two hours at dusk July 4th.. Our own fireworks show... hiked over Summit Pass 11,130 ft on Saturday for cold beers and salad at Virgina Lake Resort; 10.5 mile round trip. Brutal climb back up the pass over to Summit lake to our camp... The area around Virgina Lakes is a zoo of people...Think I'll stay away from that trailhead...
Took 45 minutes to drive from 395 to the trailhead in my Civic; didn't want to trash the suspension. The road is really good but washboarded. Next time I want to keep hiking all the way to TM.

Splash
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

That road has kept me from going back, but one of these days.... It's such a lovely area, I have ridden through on horses a few times in the fall, but never hiked it.
Tollermom
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tollermom »

For my second-ever overnight backpack trip, I went into the Hoover Wilderness from Saddlebag Lake on July 3 for an overnighter. Only one other permit had been issued when we got ours. We had the place practically to ourselves save for a handful of day hikers and a naked guy late in the afternoon by the place where the river empties into Saddlebag Lake. No quotas at Saddlebag. We camped between Steelhead and Little Steelhead on a ridge. Fantastic!
EastSideClimb
Topix Acquainted

Post by EastSideClimb »

Are you telling me you did a Burger run from Summit to Virginia and back? That's classic. The last time I was at Summit I had 4 trout cleaned, then learned my companion had forgot any form of cooking oil or butter. Steamed fish it was...maybe the Burger run woulda been the call.
Splash
Topix Acquainted

Post by Splash »

ESC,
Not only a 10.5 mile burger run & fries but also a Sierra Nevada pitcher run.. The buddy I went with still can't get over the fact that a pitcher was only 10 bucks...It's still a very tough hike back and forth...

Splash