A loop at the base of Dusy Basin?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

A loop at the base of Dusy Basin?

Post by cgundersen »

Has anyone out there gone up from Rainbow Lakes and over the saddle between Giraud Peak and peak 12266 and then looped back to Palisade Basin (and Barrett Lakes) to exit via Knapsack or Thunderbolt (or, vice versa)? If so, how challenging is the saddle?
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

I haven't been to the saddle, but here's a photo of it by Rick Kent from Aug 7th.

http://www.rickkent.net/ViewerPlus/view ... x?ID=70942
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Snownymph,
Wow, that is a nice shot on a marvellously clear day; anyway, it looks like the saddle may be within the bounds of what I'm prepared to do (which is anything that does not demand technical climbing gear). Thanks for the heads up; weather-permitting, we'll give it a go!
CG
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Re: A loop at the base of Dusy Basin?

Post by cgundersen »

Hi HSTers,
I pulled this ancient post out of the dusty drawer, because ever since I backed off on going over the ridge alluded to here (on the trip we took, we backtracked from Rainbow Lakes and went over Knapsack and out Thunderbolt), I've continued to wonder about doing this loop. This is one of those areas in the Sierra that must have gobs of folks rambling about on all 3 sides (Dusy Basin, Le Conte Canyon and Barrett Lakes), but from the dearth of posts in the last 8 years, I'm guessing the area on the distal side of Giraud seldom sees visitors. Worse yet, the link that Snow Nymph included is no longer functional. Has anyone visited this area? Photos?
Cameron
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Yes this loop is not only doable but fairly easy. I don't know allot about the saddle going up from Rainbow Lakes but since that long ridge and saddle is part of a normal route for climbing Giraud Peak it's safe to assume you can get up there. The other side by looking at my photos looks like an easy climb down.

The saddle separating the lakes South of Giraud Peak and the one furthest West of Palisade basin I have given my personal name as Wanderer Pass. The West side has a few loose rocks down low and then has a couple steep sections of grass ramps but still maintains a fairy easy class 2 rating. The East side is really easy class 1-2 slopes you zig zag down. The lakes below Giraud Peak although beautiful don't offer much for camping. I set up near the outlet on the furthest one to the West. The lake on the other side of Wanderer Pass however is very beautiful and has great camping.

Go to this set and scroll down until you see the photos heading that way from Palisade Basin.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Rogue,
Man, you are a fantastic resource. From your report, I got the impression that you'd gone through that area, but it was not clear exactly where you'd been till I looked at the photos. I concur that Wanderer pass looks pretty benign from your shots, but my recollection is that it's a bit more daunting from the Rainbow side. Still, there's only one way to find out, no?
thanks,
cameron
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I would follow the route of climbing up the North ridge of Giraud until 11,400 feet where it gets steeper and then climb to the right into a gully that will take you to the East ridge saddle.