TR: Horseshoe Meadows to Crabtree Pass/Mount McAdie 6/21-6/

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

TR: Horseshoe Meadows to Crabtree Pass/Mount McAdie 6/21-6/

Post by KathyW »

Dates: 6/21/13 to 6/23/13

I backpacked in to the lower part of Miter Basin on Friday. I found a nice campsite where the mosquitoes were moderate along Rock Creek (about 10,800'), but I still ended up eating in my tent.

On Saturday morning, I headed northerly up Rock Creek to Crabtree Pass - A very scenic hike. I wasted a lot of time getting past Lake 3697, but in the end it was very simple get past the lake. Once almost up at Crabtree Pass I headed for a chute that I had read would take me to a notch just below the summit of Mount McAdie. The chute was just Class 2, but it was loose and slow going. I clung to the north side of the chute when I could because it was more stable there. When I finally reached the notch, I was so happy to be able to do the last little Class 3 scramble to the summit of McAdie on solid rock. After that it was back down the loose crappy chute (I tend to spend a lot of time in loose crappy chutes), and then back down to my campsite.

On Sunday, I slept in (didn't get out of the sleeping bag until the sun hit my tent and didn't start hiking until 9 am). Then I backtracked to Cottonwood Pass and out to Horseshoe Meadows.

Notes: There is no water between Chicken Spring Lake and Rock Creek (near the junction with the trail to New Army Pass). There were no mosquitoes until near the junction to Soldier Lake, but they were thick along Rock Creek and in the lower part of Miter Basin. Rock Creek is really low for this time of year.

Trip Stats: 34 miles/6900' gain.

Pics and Map: http://kathywing.smugmug.com/California ... &k=DCvFKxs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SweetSierra
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Horseshoe Meadows to Crabtree Pass/Mount McAdie 6/21-6/

Post by SweetSierra »

Thanks for your trip report and link to the photos at your web site. That chute doesn't look like fun. I'm not a class 3 peak bagger but I enjoy reading about your climbs and adventures. Miter Basin is beautiful. I've never been over Crabtree Pass. I like your photo of it.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

I guess I could post the report under the peakbagging section, but because I'm more of a hiker/backpacker than a climber I'm more comfortable filing my reports under the backpacking/hiking/camping section. It was the view from up there that first got me trying to get up to the summit of mountains on trips.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

I agree, it seems like this is a good place for your report. Many backpacks incorporate a peak climb.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Thanks for the report. I am heading to that area for 4 days next week. It looks like you bypassed Soldier Lakes and used Rock Creek up and down? Great photos- If I remember, you are using an Olympus OM-D? What lens are you using? Good results.
ExploreABitMore
Topix Regular

Post by ExploreABitMore »

Lots of nice photos, thanks for sharing! Sounds like a great trip
Sierra Nevada, Mojave Desert, Night Sky Photography: http://www.evanthomasphoto.com/
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Kathy,
Yes, gorgeous shots; the low snow is scary and it's not because Kaweah basin captured it all since even your distant shots showed meager white stuff. I hope some of the recent cloud activity drops a little rain or things may be burning before most folks get out there. I hope not!
cg
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

richlong8 wrote:Thanks for the report. I am heading to that area for 4 days next week. It looks like you bypassed Soldier Lakes and used Rock Creek up and down? Great photos- If I remember, you are using an Olympus OM-D? What lens are you using? Good results.
Yes, I bypassed Soldier Lakes. I have camped at the lower Soldier Lake a couple times before when heading into Miter Basin and have crossed over the hill at the northwest end of the lake to get to Rock Creek a few times, but I find it easier to go all the way down to near the tarn along Rock Creek and then take the pretty good use trail that goes up into Miter Basin. This trip I missed the beginning of the use trail on the way up Rock Creek, but didn't have any trouble following all the way down on the way out. I think I missed it because I was checking out that tarn instead of watching where the trail was. Anyway, there might be a little more elevation gain/loss to go down to Rock Creek but I find it easier than going over the hill from Soldier Lake. If you camp at Soldier Lake, you have to go over the hill and then down to Rock Creek; so I think there's only about 200' more gain by going down to Rock Creek and it's easier for me on a trail with a full pack.

Also, they want you to follow the trail that is marked by the bear boxes sign to Soldier Lakes for camping instead of taking the trail at the Soldier Lakes/Rock Creek Junction. So, if you want to camp at Soldier Lakes, don't bother going the extra distance to the junction.

On this trip I used a M.Zuiko Digital 17mm f1.8 lens. (http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/m-zuiko ... -f1-8.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). I carried the M.Zuiko ED 9-18mm f4.0-5.6 lens because I wanted to take some shots from the summit of McAdie with it, but I hit the summit at my turn-around time once again and did not have time to play with the camera much. I like both those lenses.

I have not been pleased with the M.Zuiko Lens MSC ED M.12-50mm f3.5-6.3 lens and I can see why the guy I bought it from sold it off fairly cheaply. I like the M.Zuiko 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 II R that I purchased with the camera better than that 12-50mm lens.

If I get pictures I think are nice, I'm happy with the lens seeing as I'm lacking in skill and knowledge when it come to photography. For now, I'm done buying lenses until I figure out how to use the ones I have.

What I did learn this trip is that I need to carry a small tripod for those waterfall shots.
cgundersen wrote:Kathy,
Yes, gorgeous shots; the low snow is scary and it's not because Kaweah basin captured it all since even your distant shots showed meager white stuff. I hope some of the recent cloud activity drops a little rain or things may be burning before most folks get out there. I hope not!
cg
I've only been backpacking in the Sierra for about 13 years; so my history is short compared to a lot of folks around here, but I have never seen it this dry this early in the year. The trout are trying to swim in really shallow water in those creeks. Let's hope we don't get some big fires this year and keep our fingers crossed for some heavy snow this coming winter.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Kathy:
On this trip I used a M.Zuiko Digital 17mm f1.8 lens. (http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/m-zuiko ... -f1-8.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). I carried the M.Zuiko ED 9-18mm f4.0-5.6 lens because I wanted to take some shots from the summit of McAdie with it, but I hit the summit at my turn-around time once again and did not have time to play with the camera much. I like both those lenses.
I am really impressed by the results from that 17mm lens. Very nice. Regarding the waterfalls and High Sierra photos: I hesitate to say much because I lack the expertise of so many photographers on this forum like Maverick, fishmonger, John Dittli, etc; But since we use the same camera, I will say a couple of things about the camera: On the OM-D, I use the Anti-Shock feature set at 8 seconds, which reduces shutter vibration, with image stabilization set to off when using a tripod with this camera. I think it works pretty well with a cheaper, more compact tripod, that I use, instead of carrying the weight of a high quality tripod, which would work even better, I am sure, but I don't want to carry a heavy tripod. I have my tripod settings setup in "My setting" on the camera, so I just have to select that setting and everything will be setup right when I use a tripod. I have handheld settings setup the same way.
f I am shooting running water, if possible, I do it in early AM, or later afternoon, so it is not so bright, and high contrasty. I carry a Neutral Density filter to get the brightness lower, if I want to shoot at a slower shutter speed to blur water. I have been using a graduated ND filter also, which helps with the very bright landscapes that are typical of the Sierra. Your pictures are already great, and please keep those trip reports coming. I am overdue to write and post a couple from the last month myself. Happy Trails.
Richard
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I really enjoyed the photos. Miter Basin is so beautiful, and a fun route up. One of my favorites