Trip advice to Woodchuck Country......

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Trip advice to Woodchuck Country......

Post by Snowtrout »

My wife and I are planning a 5 day trip to the Woodchuck area east of Wishon over the 4th of July weekend (next week) and need a little advice or some suggestions. After reading reports on here and other sites, I think our trip plan will be similar to Sekihiker's semi-loop trip from June 2012 except I would like to spend 2 nights at Woodchuck lake then hike over to Crown lake for 2 nights, experiencing the great fishing both lakes have to offer.

But of course I have a few questions:
Which trailhead is best to go out of: Woodchuck or Rancheria? I know another off-trail route has been discussed on here but my off-trail navigation is ok at best and I presently do not have a GPS.
The 3000' elevation gain to Woodchuck Lake might kick my butt or my wife's the first day. Would a realistic goal be Moore's boys camp area the first day or somewhere else?
Where are good camping spots at Woodchuck and Crown lakes?
How tough is it to hike from Crown lake, over Chuck pass and exit out to either trailhead? If using the Rancheria Trailhead, I noticed that some have gone off trail around the Indian Springs area, heading west-south west towards Round Corral. Can you see Finger Rock in the distance to guide you along the ridge towards the trail or would I need a GPS/map to guide me?

Thank you for any answers or suggestions given. We'll need it :nod:
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip advice to Woodchuck Country......

Post by sekihiker »

Here's what I did in Woodchuck Country last year in four days: http://www.sierrahiker.com/WoodchuckCountry/index.html