Shepherd pass trail conditions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SPeacock
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Shepherd pass trail conditions

Post by SPeacock »

Bill, easier to follow the 'trail' over Junction from the east side. Still a lot of trail left, just has not been maintained since they put in Forester Pass. You can catch what remains of the trail directly north of the Pot Hole. I don't think there is any indication remaining for the Junction Pass trail off from the main Shepherd trail. The way down to Center Basin on the west side is obvious from the top.

Forester is one of my all time favorite passes - for scenery and the trail. Better from the south, however. South America Lake is not one of those beauty spots you make as a destination. Looks more like the moon. But Harrison Pass is a nice walk up (from Tyndall Creek) to take a look around. Especially a photo op looking east. Just before you crest Shepherd take another picture(s) back looking west. Some nice WOW! Tyndall is a tempting summit since you are so close. If you have the time, energy and inclination, be sure to check out the trail on the west side of the Kern drainage. You will more than likely be the only ones there this year.

When hiking from Symmes Creek to the Onion Valley road, just one of you do it, then come back for packs and the rest of the gang. That should make for an easier hitch. It's about an hour or so trudge. I'd leave the car at Symmes and do the pack and people shuttle to Kearsarge trail before you begin. If you get down from Shepherd when it is hot, you will par broil, waiting for the one that got the short straw to return.