Camping sites near Florence

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bsd
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Camping sites near Florence

Post by bsd »

Anyone know of any free/dispersed camping in this area? I have a 4wheel drive and we do not want to camp too far from the truck on this trek.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Camping sites near Florence

Post by maverick »

Check this TR with info to that area it may help: http://www.greeneadventures.com/2012/06 ... ll-anyone/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

It is legal to disperse camp anywhere along roads east of Kaiser Pass. Lots of short spur roads leaving the main road if one keeps an eye out roadside.
toejam
Topix Acquainted

Post by toejam »

I stayed at a really nice spot just below the dam last year - a pull-out with a big fire ring.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

You'll see the pullouts used for camping. They are the ones with the fire rings.

There's also the developed sites at Ward Lake and the campground near the meadow just down the hill from Florence. We stayed in the developed sites before starting out on the first ferry run in the morning....
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Will mention one of the more unique dispersed camping options anywhere in the Sierra Nevada that is along the road. At Kaiser Pass BM9184 is the dirt road to White Bark Point. Though rather uneven it has always been accessible by 2WD with average clearance. The mile and one half long dirt road gets occasional grading because there is a radio facility out at the end:

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.29096,-119.09120&z=15&t=T" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.29175,-119.08810&z=18&t=S" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the past when we've had to pick up walk up wilderness permits at the High Sierra Ranger Station further east on the road, we've sometimes overnighted there because it is the best place in the region to acclimate to high elevation road side and has an exceptional ridge top view late afternoons towards the east, northeast, and north to dozens of miles of the Sierra Crest from Yosemite down to the Mono Recesses including distant icons like Ritter.

And because of that if the sky happens to have cirrus, it is a great spot to set up a telephoto lens on a tripod using the crest peaks like Abbot, Gabb, Red Slate, Red & White Mtn etc as silhouettes against dawn skies.
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

Good to know that road is doable in a 2wd truck. Last time driving home from edison I wanted to check out the view up there. Looked pretty rough so I skipped it. Next time I'll go for it.
bsd
Topix Acquainted

Post by bsd »

Looks like I lost access to the 4wheel drive truck I was gonna use. Wanted to cross the river into Hooper Division, anyone know the conditions here? I also hear it might rain now?