T.R. - Humphreys Basin - June 7-10, 2013

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
hikerdmb
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

T.R. - Humphreys Basin - June 7-10, 2013

Post by hikerdmb »

Took a 4 day solo trip into Humphreys Basin a week ago. I hadn't been over Piute Pass since I did the North Lake - South Lake Loop in 1995. On this trip I visited a few of the lakes in the basin and wandered around off trail a bit. As far as conditions, there is a 100 foot section of snow at the top of the east side of Piute Pass. I also found a bit of snow around Muriel Lake and some more while going cross country from Muriel down to Upper Golden Trout Lake. There were also some large patches at Upper Desolation Lake. All the snow I encountered was set up and there was no post holing at all. Other than that the parts of the basin I visited were snow free. I camped at Piute Lake on Friday night and had the place to myself. Saw lots of people at Muriel Lake the next day. Camped 2 nights at Upper Golden Trout with a few people the first night, no people the second night, and lots of mosquitos both nights. The temps on this trip were quite warm. There was very little wind and everything got soaked from condensation on Sunday night. I was chased over the pass by hail and rain on Monday but got out without getting too wet. Here are some pics from the trip. Hope you enjoy them.

My dog Wylie joined my on this trip. This is at the beginning of the trail.

The snow field below east side of Piute Pass.

Muriel Lake

Mt. Humphreys from Muriel Lake.

Looking down towards Golden Trout Lakes from near Muriel.

Lower Desolation Lake.

Upper Desolation Lake.

Glacier Divide and Lower Desolation Lake.

Mt. Humphreys from my camp at Upper Golden Trout Lake.

Saturday night sunset.

Sunday night sunset.

Looking up the west side of Piute Pass.

Piute Crags and some iris blooms.
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: T.R. - Humphreys Basin - June 7-10, 2013

Post by schmalz »

Thanks for the update on conditions.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mradford
Topix Regular

Post by Mradford »

Great TR. Thanks for posting, helps me see what the conditions are like up there. Also, that shot of the alpenglow on humphry's is classic!
-Mike
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

hiker,
Great area for your dog (& nice photos!); we had a golden for 11 years and Piute was one of his "go to" passes simply because it was one of the first places we could enter the wilderness without running afoul of Park regulations. Anyway, we had a couple interesting visits from coyotes in that basin; they kept inviting our guy to come and "play". Or, something like that. There may have been less friendly intentions.........
cg
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

Nice photos ! I think I camped at that same campsite at golden trout lake, the views look the same. I love Humphreys basin, so nice !
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

Great report, thanks! I noticed at the ranger station that golden trout lake he'd no camping around it within 500 yards. Where did you camp?
I'm no suture for my future.
RiseToADry
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by RiseToADry »

Thanks for the TR. I'm heading up there in 3 weeks, so that conditions update was perfect! Hope you had a great time!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Wow. Everything is iced out. Great TR! Now i'm torn. except for the skeeters. Wylie seems like a trooper.
hikerdmb
Topix Acquainted

Post by hikerdmb »

I camped on the east side of Upper Golden Trout just south of the creek. I think the no camping is at Lower Golden Trout. The ranger in Lone Pine marked my permit to camp at Upper so it must be okay. Although he was surprised there was more than one Golden Trout Lake. Wylie is a great dog. He is my third Golden over the years. The other two lived to be 12. He is 5 and in his prime and has great trail manners. He is excellent company when going "solo." And is a good tent sharer too. He is using my down vest as covers. He also seems to enjoy the views as much as me.

Mradford
Topix Regular

Post by Mradford »

hikerdmb wrote: He is using my down vest as covers. He also seems to enjoy the views as much as me.

HAHA that is awesome!!