Hutchings Creek

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tomoverstreet
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Hutchings Creek

Post by tomoverstreet »

Thanks so much for the info!

So, It looks like juscro followed the Sierra High Route until he got to Hutchings creek.

My plan is to do the portion of the Sierra High Route from Devils Post Pile to TM. After reading Wandering Daisy's wonderful TR I knew that I had to add the Lyell Fork basin and Hutchings Creek via Slugo Pass for sure.

I've read two reports (not on this forum) that went from the headwaters of Hutchings Creek to the headwaters of Lewis Creek, but the info was sketchy. If I can find out if this ridge/pass is not any harder than Class 3, it looks like a nice option.

Maverick, I'm not familiar with the Merced High Route and I don't know what an OP is. Sorry,... the new guy needs some help. :)

Tom
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

OP=original post or original poster
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Tom wrote:
Maverick, I'm not familiar with the Merced High Route and I don't know what an OP is.
After going over Vogelsang Pass continue down Lewis Creek to the 8270ft level where
the trail branches off, one branch leads down to Merced Lake, the other is the High Trail
which leads to the point where the Lyell Fork crosses the trail and where you start
your cross-country section up Hutchings Creek. As others mention Suggo can be used to
access one basin from the other.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org