20 lakes basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 20 lakes basin

Post by markskor »

Rockchucker wrote: What's wrong with my hand trout??? :unibrow:
Pray tell, what ever do you mean about not liking small, cupped, hand-trout pictures?

Seems way back when, in the days of yore, local English fisherman were both addled and confused about how big a trout would have to be, before they could proudly display it openly to others. (Let’s face it, unless we are talking bait or aquarium fodder, any really small fish caught, perhaps should be left un-shown?) The population, both the serf and lord anglers were bewildered. The wise king-at-the-time Richard, wanting to allay any and all doubts, stepped in and had manufactured small, cloth, trout-shaped patches…personal size charts to sew on…something to compare the size of trout to. FYI, This patch thing soon became universal law…everybody wore them, called them their Richard's.
Bottom line, if you subsequently catch a fish that is smaller than your Richard…

(Too much?)
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

maybe a bit too much. ;)
Rockchucker
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by Rockchucker »

rlown wrote:k.. you're in golden country. there's the next aim. Thinking you're like 6 miles from really nice areas to fish and they're probably iced out now.
I've been spoiled fishing goldens on the kern out of templton. I wanted to go to the lakes that contains goldens but the trail was snowed in, we potholed our way for awhile but trying to keep the status quo happy meant adapting. So we fished what we could. :-({|=
I'm no suture for my future.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

markskor wrote:
Rockchucker wrote: What's wrong with my hand trout??? :unibrow:
Pray tell, what ever do you mean about not liking small, cupped, hand-trout pictures?

Seems way back when, in the days of yore, local English fisherman were both addled and confused about how big a trout would have to be, before they could proudly display it openly to others. (Let’s face it, unless we are talking bait or aquarium fodder, any really small fish caught, perhaps should be left un-shown?) The population, both the serf and lord anglers were bewildered. The wise king-at-the-time Richard, wanting to allay any and all doubts, stepped in and had manufactured small, cloth, trout-shaped patches…personal size charts to sew on…something to compare the size of trout to. FYI, This patch thing soon became universal law…everybody wore them, called them their Richards.
Bottom line, if you subsequently catch a fish that is smaller than your Richard…

(Too much?)
who said the fish is smaller?!?!?? :-# :lol:
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

Strawberry, awesome golden fishing.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

Thanks for your photos and trip report. That looks like a beautiful area. I've never been there but would like to go.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

Strawberry is in 20 lakes basin? :confused:
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

austex wrote:Strawberry is in 20 lakes basin? :confused:
No but I got off topic talking about goldens!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

your report was great. keep doing it. we can talk about the hand trout later. It was more important to get everyone somewhere they could enjoy each other's company. That was a score in itself.

russ
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

rlown wrote:your report was great. keep doing it. we can talk about the hand trout later. It was more important to get everyone somewhere they could enjoy each other's company. That was a score in itself.

russ
For me it's making sure my son is loving it. So far so good!!! We are day hiking the whites tomorrow.