Trip Advice for 4 nights(ish) backpacking?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SPeacock
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip Advice for 4 nights(ish) backpacking?

Post by SPeacock »

Very light snow year makes end of June an almost snow free trip anywhere except for a few birms across the trail and not so deep snow at approaches and top of passes.

Could be a minor water problem if above 10,500 a lot if crossing streams that would normally go dry in late season.

Five days would do Onion Valey, Vidette Meadows, Forester Pass. Then time off to explore the upper Kern drainage, perhaps a stroll along the western side with a good view north and west from Harrison Pass. Could check out Wallace and Wright Basins as well. Not very many people up there Just too close to the end of the JMT to do anything but let the horses run for the barn.

Exit would be over Shepherd Pass down to Symmes Creek. I prefer the clockwise route for the slow strip tease of Williamson and Tyndall. It is the express trail to the high Sierra. If only one car it is a loop with a 3mile hike to the road back to Onion Valley for a hitch up the hill. You have option to take on Tyndall and Williamson as well. The summer/fall season restriction for Williamson Bowl has been removed.

Need to be the early bird for Wilderness permits for Shepherd Pass trail.

This is a bit on the strenuous side but well worth the gallon of sweat.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The mosquitoes are just now beginning to get bad in the northern Sierra. A lot of the suggestions for northern Yosemite/Hoover Wilderness/Emigrant Wilderness are good, but the country is mostly sub-alpine (not "alpine" in the same sense as the Whitney area) and have a nasty 2-3 week mosquito season, which this year, starts soon. I personally like to do this area later in the year after mosquitoes are gone. I would guess that by mid July this area would be essentially mosquito free.

If you are limited in time, then do not waste it on a lot of car travel. Shuttling cars takes up a lot of time, even though you have 2 cars. The one case that WOULD work well is South Lake - to - North Lake since the car shuttling then is very easy (20 minutes max).
funkworthy
Topix Novice

Post by funkworthy »

Bluewater wrote:I realize the North Lake to South Lake loop is usually over populated, but it is all on trail and easily done within the 5 days/4 nights. Having two cars would make for easy transportation logistics between trailheads.
Still leaving it open, but I think for the milage of between 50-60, and the high dramatic alpine scenery, this may be a winner.

I remember being blown away by evolution lakes and muir pass. I'd be excited to see these again, and also to experience some new terrain, and likely some camaraderie with a fair amount of fellow travelers.

Are the bears bad in this area? Any problem spots we should avoid camping at? We'll rent bear canisters (right?) but the first night or two we'll definitely have some overflow which we'll either try to hang or sleep close to (if we sleep above treeline).
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Bluewater »

The only place along the route that I am aware of bear activity is along the Middle Fork Kings River in LeConte Canyon, especially Big & Little Pete Meadows. One year there was a funny sign near the ranger station warning of recent bear activity. I have always avoided the area but there are several large group sites along the river.

Regarding bear canisters, according to the sierrawild.gov food storage map the only place that bear canisters are required on the loop is from the JMT/Bishop Pass trail junction, through Dusy Basin and all the way over Bishop Pass to the trailhead. If you're interested here's a link to the map:

http://sierrawild.gov/media/site/foodst ... 082609.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All along the creek in Evolution Meadow there are plenty of group sites. The sites at the bottom of the falls are dark with tree coverage. Even if it's late in the day it's worth taking the switchbacks up into Evolution Meadow. There are several large spots to the south of the creek near the top of the waterfall.

There are some amazing camping spots just to the south/southwest of Evolution Lake between the lake and the outlet creek. The views of Mts. Darwin & Mendle are great. There is also a small covered spot at the top of the waterfall (only large enough for 2 or 3) w/ good views of Evolution Meadow.

The spots to the west of the trail above Sapphire Lake have very good sunset views of Mt. Huxley but it's usually a windy area. There are also some illegal spots in the rocks within the outlet creek. I have only used them as a good place to eat dinner and enjoy the views.

If you don't mind exposed spots way above treeline there is good camping along the northern shore of Wanda Lake. My wife and I camped just above the north shoreline last summer. Stark and beautiful.

In Dusy Basin there are good spots along the western shore of Lake 11,388 (and the un-named lake just above it) large enough for a small group. Very good views of Mts. Winchell, Thunderbolt, Isoceles and Columbine at sunset. The lakes that lead to Knapsack Pass in lower Dusy Basin will probably be a mosquito nightmare this time of year.

Have fun.
funkworthy
Topix Novice

Post by funkworthy »

Thanks Bluewater! Writing this from Bishop. Super psyched!