Ridge-Lewis Lakes area advice

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
larree0
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Ridge-Lewis Lakes area advice

Post by larree0 »

'morning
Looking at the Ridge-Lewis Lks area for, unfortunately, late August or even right after labor day.
With the current snow pack, will there be ANY water in Summit or "Lewis" creeks by then?

I've read every (I think) TR for the area (Thank you all for a Great Site and contributions),
it looks like heading XC just before the confluence of Summit and "Lewis" crs (6-9 miles in) and heading toward Lower (east) Lewis (our destination for first night) is the best/safest route?

Anyone have a closer milage to the confluence or to lower Lewis?
( I get about 8 miles total using Topo!)

We may stay at lower Lewis and day hike to others altho you-all make middle Lewis sound really pretty, we're old, not sure about that last gain into middle. Sounds like limited camp sites available at most lakes up there, is that right? (4 people, 2 tents, possible fly rods)
We're level 2-3, ok with XC with no exposure.
Thanks in advance for any info
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Ridge-Lewis Lakes area advice

Post by DriveFly44 »

larree0,

Your mileage seems about right....although we went a mile or so past the turnoff up to lower lewis and then had to come back :\

Others can comment on water - I would imagine there will still be a little in summit. Camping at lower lewis (just a few good places to camp) is great and the hike up to middle isn't that bad to make it to, as you've heard, an incredible lake. At the north end, there's an awesome campsite that should be able to accommodate you all. Bring your fly rods and have fun :D

Ladd
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

Your mileage sounds about right. I did this hike last year and only saw one person in three days. I think there's decent camping at lower Lewis. Middle is the most beautiful. I camped at upper Lewis lake. Terrible camping spots up there. I loved Ridge lake. There's some nice camping spots there, and the flyfishing is good. Iceland lake is large and beautiful with good camp sites, but I'm pretty sure is fishless. I had no problem navigating up there with out trails. It's kind of like a weird Island in the sky up there. :thumbsup:
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

I'd put it as just shy of 8.5 miles from the Kennedy Meadows TH parking lot to Lower Lewis Lake. The hike up the Lewis Lakes outlet from Summit Creek is pretty easy—just head up the slabs. I've attached a KMZ file of my route last summer up to the lakes. (It also includes Granite Dome and our route to Iceland Lake.) It's been suggested that ours wasn't the most efficient route, but it worked for us.
30-JUN-12 051555 PM.kmz
Lower Lewis had a lot of fish rising when I passed it, and probably had some decent camping spots to the west and north. Middle Lewis does have a nice open patch on the east side as shown in this photo.
middle_lewis_camp.jpg
I concur that Upper Lewis probably doesn't have many good camping spots, but I think there was a decent spot on the west end which is the far shore in this photo.
upper_lewis_063012.jpg
"Island in the sky" is a great description for this area. Overland travel is fairly easy. As for your water concerns, I don't have enough late season experience in this area to give you an informed opinion. However, I'd be surprised if there wasn't some sort of flow coming down the Lewis Lakes outlet...but who knows after two dry years.

Enjoy your trip!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
mpeters
Topix Acquainted

Post by mpeters »

Concur with the other posters... middle Lewis is your preferred camp location. Lower is boggy and unremarkable. Upper is barren and limited for camping. Once you've made the climb to lower Lewis -- piece of cake to get to Middle. Go for it!

It's been several years since I visited Lewis Lakes but you are in for a treat -- fantastic rock face bordering the Middle Lake with sloping granite slabs on the other side. Nice campsite near the inlet to Middle Lewis(NW side).

Fishing can be good. And the best part--in the half dozen trips made to Lewis, it was rare to see more than a couple people at or near the lakes.