Looking for a 4 day 3 night loop trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tim
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Looking for a 4 day 3 night loop trip

Post by tim »

If you're keen on the East side, then Cottonwood Pass to Cottonwood Lakes (or vice versa) is a good 4 day loop. Go over Cottonwood Pass to Chicken Spring Lake (easy 4 miles on day 1, but the altitude makes it seems further). Day 2 go to Lower Soldier Lake then up to camp in Miter Basin (the last bit is easy off trail). Day 3 go over New Army Pass to Cottonwood Lakes then Day 4 back down to Horseshoe Meadows.

Or the other way round: first night at Cottonwood Lakes, second night at Lower Soldier Lake, third day a day trip to Miter Basin and fourth day hike out via Cottonwood Pass. That way round gives more time to explore Miter Basin but makes the hike out on the last day a bit longer.

It should all be fine for beginners (I did most of it with my 10 year old twins), so long as everyone is OK with the altitude. My photos from Miter Basin: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6526" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;