Suzie Lake, Desolation Wilderness

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Suzie Lake, Desolation Wilderness

Post by Tom_H »

paula53 wrote:What a beautiful dog. She would like the trail out of Meeks Bay to Crag Lake. It starts as a unpaved road, up to the wilderness boundary sign. Then it starts to climb on a dirt trail next to Meeks Creek for the first 2 miles. A dog could easily make the hike up to the first 5 lakes.
Yes, this trail is mostly sand or duff, however there are a few spots that are granite, like the trail to Susie. The trail to Gilmore/Susie is very similar to the PCT as it climbs from Upper Echo to Ralston. It is often the sheer volume of blasted granite on this kind of trail that can do in a person or dog.

Daisy, I know you've been into the headwaters of the West Walker before. That's one of my favorite areas too. The trail from Leavitt Meadows up the West Walker is mostly flat and sand or soil. There are many meadows that are ancient lakes that eutrophicated, leaving a nice soft surface.
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Mike M. »

I think Lupe is dreaming about last weekend and can't wait to get back up there again.

Mike
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by madeintahoe »

Lupe is a beautiful dog WD! Sorry her paws did not do well..I remember that trail is pretty rocky. I agree with the hike out of Meeks Bay to those lakes up in there would be perfect for dogs..lots of soft dirt on that trail. I sure miss having our dogs on hikes/backpqacking trips with us...ours were always so good..stayed walking right on the trail and stayed with us just laying around once in camp..I miss that a lot..you are lucky you have Lupe!