TR: Matlock Lake 6/1 > 6/2/13

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Matlock Lake 6/1 > 6/2/13

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Nice report and beautiful [ics Smalz!! Had to laugh about the pic of Calli and the snow bank. Our Samoyed named Fuzzy went along with us on most of my early trips in the 70's and early 80's. She loved snow banks and would do a sort of inverted glissade down them. She would run to the top, put her head on the snow, and push herself downslope with her hind legs, and then do it again if time allowed.

I've only been to Matlock once about 21 years ago, but it still looks the same (gorgeous!!!!. Not that surprised you saw a bear as the area had quite the reputation for bears in those days. Guess some are still around. We didnt see any, but it was late September so maybe they had started looking for dens or moving lower, who knows. In those days, Matlock had in ground vaults to store food and trash and these dammed 10 to 12' poles to hang your packs on.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice report. Those scenes are gorgeous and they bring back such fond memories. My dad had his own home dark room set up and he'd make these big black and white prints of his favorite High Sierra photos. One of our favorites was his photo of University Peak over Matlock Lake. My dad, younger brother, and I camped there in Sept. 1976 prior to climbing University.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Renopacker76
Topix Newbie

Post by Renopacker76 »

Now thats a TR!!! Looks like you had a awesome early season trip. Thanks for sharing!!!!
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

Great pictures of a beautiful area. Easy quick solitude. I want to go back and tag university peak. There is a pass where you can get into the kearsarge lakes area just above that upper tarn, and makes for a fun weekend loop with a bit of class 2 scrambling.
manbartz
Topix Novice

Post by manbartz »

sparky wrote:Great pictures of a beautiful area. Easy quick solitude. I want to go back and tag university peak. There is a pass where you can get into the kearsarge lakes area just above that upper tarn, and makes for a fun weekend loop with a bit of class 2 scrambling.

Can anybody give me more info on this pass? Sounds fun.