Trip Advice: SHR the 3rd week of June 2013?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip Advice: SHR the 3rd week of June 2013?

Post by LMBSGV »

I just wanted to add another vote for camping by the outlet of Lower Mills Creek Lake, Laurel and Grinnell Lakes, Cotton Lake, and Virginia over Purple. I’ll also second all the skeeter warnings, especially Horse Heaven/Tully Hole. Have a great trip.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
ManOfTooManySports
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by ManOfTooManySports »

maverick wrote:Hi MOTMS,

She and others have already chimed in about that earlier on in this thread.
The talk was primarily about crampons, and Bluewater was talking about poles. I was curious about thoughts on bringing an ax.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Thank you WD and LMBSGV for the advice regarding Grinnel and Cottonwood Lakes. I might have skipped right past Grinnel.

WD, I plan on leaving my car in Mammoth and taking Mammoth Pass over to the upper lakes on the way out. I skipped the burned out section around Devils/Reds Mdw. when thru hiking the JMT in 2011, and I agree it looks worth missing:).

After reading the recent t/r about the Treasure Lakes area I'm considering some alternatives in the Southern Sierra just in case the snow conditions don't improve. I appreciate everyone sharing their experience and advice!
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

If snow is your concern, you may want to travel SoBo. You'll be able to asess the steep snowy headwalls much better from below and hiking up snow is better than down unless you are an accomplished glissader!

The first steep snow NoBo your most likely going to hit is leaving Humpheries Basin. I'm not sure which pass the SHR suggests, but I've been thru three and they are all a bit steep.

If you are going to Grinnell (I also recommend) you may want to just use Red and White Pass. I've skied thru there a few times, could be talus hell underneath, don't know.

Virginia Lake over Purple, yes. I've wondered why Roper even suggests the JMT here as there is a nice route thru Franklin and Ram Lakes and over Pika Col. Steep and rocky but that's the SHR eh?
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks John. It sounds like traveling SoBo is the way to go considering the early season conditions. Glissading is fun but not going down these passes.

Feather Pass is the first steep pass coming from Humphreys Basin (not counting Puppet Pass) although mavericks suggestion to use Ruskie Pass to get into Bear Lakes Basin looks like a good alternative.

There is some good info on Grinnel Col here on HST including pxts of both sides. Thanks for the alternate, I wouldn't have considered it before.

Although I would like to stay true to the route when it makes sense I have already been through Virginia and Purple Lakes. I camped in the trees above Virginia during a storm while on the JMT. The route over Franklin Col to Franklin and Ram Lakes and over Pika Pass looks like a much better/fun route, and a good way to stay off the JMT.

Thanks again to everybody for sharing your wealth of Sierra knowledge.
gooral
Topix Novice

Post by gooral »

Andy,

Please post an update when you finish your trip as soon as you can. We are going on the same route during the first week of July starting at Mammoth Lakes and exiting over Italy Pass. We plan to do it in 7 days. It would be great to get the latest info on the snow conditions. Thanks and have a great trip .
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Gooral,

Welcome to HST! Please also post a TR when you get back from your trip.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

I will be back by the 23rd and will post pxts and an update on conditions.
artrock23
Topix Acquainted

Post by artrock23 »

Andy, the route you choose to do to the side, I recommend getting some crampons and an ice axe. IMHO, both are indispensable tools for the serious alpinist. Both are relatively easy to learn the use of, and with your amount of backpacking experience, you'll pick it up quickly. Since we live nearby one another, I can give you the basics. BTW, WD, most modern crampons come with very effective anti-balling devices.

This week I upgraded my crampons to Grivel G12s. So, my G10s are now an extra set. You're welcomed to use them, if you want.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks for your generous offer Art! I appreciate it and will get in touch. I have somehow avoided getting crampons and an axe until now but it is definitely time. I could have used them a few times last winter.

Darwin Glacier:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370842721.420321.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.