Trip Advice: SHR the 3rd week of June 2013?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Trip Advice: SHR the 3rd week of June 2013?

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks Scott! I checked out Rohn Pass on Google Earth and marked it as an alternative on my topo map. Cotton Lake and Tully Lake on the north side look beautiful and worth the effort.

I haven't found an alternate to Gabbot, and I have been looking forward to camping around the Mills Creek Lakes. I will just see how it goes and go around if needed.

Any recommendations for especially good camping spots around Mills Creek or the Cottonwood/Tully Lake areas?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Trip Advice: SHR the 3rd week of June 2013?

Post by maverick »

You should be fine going over Gabbot, and the Mills Creek Lakes should not
be missed! Camp spots are better at the lower lake near the outlet, but there
are some spots near the upper lake but without much wind cover.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

Once you go north over Bighorn Pass, Rohn Pass is more work to get to than Shout-of-Relief Pass. To get to SOR you stay fairly high above Rosy Finch Lake and you will find benches and ramps that make things easier than it looks.

I think I camped at or near Lower Mills Creek Lake. I passed Upper Mills on the right above it (ate lunch there in full sun on a hot day) and didn't look around for sleeping spots. Obviously, as the Second Recess stair steps down (steep and flat, meadow sections) it gets more plush, but you may run into early season mosquitoes if you camp too far down.

I thought Tully Lake was nice, but didn't camp there. Cotton Lake didn't win my heart that hot Sept day. I camped down in a small grove of trees at Izaak Walton Lake and thought it was very attractive. I didn't go up to Hortense Lake, but from photos I've seen of it I'd like to go there sometime.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

maverick wrote:You should be fine going over Gabbot, and the Mills Creek Lakes should not
be missed! Camp spots are better at the lower lake near the outlet, but there
are some spots near the upper lake but without much wind cover.
Good news about Gabbot Pass. . and lower Mills Creek Lake camping. That is great. I've been reading various t/r's about that area for a while.

The only pass I've done in early season like this was Vogelsang in June 2011 (along with the peak). The trail was covered on both sides. If the conditions are similar this year I should be ok.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Ska-T wrote:Once you go north over Bighorn Pass, Rohn Pass is more work to get to than Shout-of-Relief Pass. To get to SOR you stay fairly high above Rosy Finch Lake and you will find benches and ramps that make things easier than it looks.

I think I camped at or near Lower Mills Creek Lake. I passed Upper Mills on the right above it (ate lunch there in full sun on a hot day) and didn't look around for sleeping spots. Obviously, as the Second Recess stair steps down (steep and flat, meadow sections) it gets more plush, but you may run into early season mosquitoes if you camp too far down.

I thought Tully Lake was nice, but didn't camp there. Cotton Lake didn't win my heart that hot Sept day. I camped down in a small grove of trees at Izaak Walton Lake and thought it was very attractive. I didn't go up to Hortense Lake, but from photos I've seen of it I'd like to go there sometime.
Thanks for the beta on the route from Bighorn to SOR. Sounds like classic Roper 'granite benches' type terrain. Beautiful.

I'm checking the skeeter reports closely until I leave, mainly to make any last minute shelter choices between a tent or shaped tarp (Hexamid vs. Solomid). I'm hoping for plenty of time to wander around and check out Cotton, Tully, Izaak Walton, Mace and Hortense lakes. Regardless of where I camp I'll carry Deet and a head net for those meadow areas!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Cotton Lake is one of the highlights of that area, IZW and Hortense are fine.
Don't miss Laurel and Grinnell Lakes! These are from a photographers point of
view, fishing wise have heard IZW and Hortense are good.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

Bluewater wrote:Sounds like classic Roper 'granite benches' type terrain.
Not that good (easy/flat), but not technical.
ManOfTooManySports
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by ManOfTooManySports »

Curious to hear from the more experienced people (like WD) what is thought of bringing an ice ax on such a trip. For me, I wouldn't do the trip without crampons and an ax. However, as with crampons, it is important to do quite a bit of training beforehand, with and without a pack on. Even with my moderate experience with the gear, I'd spend a couple hours playing on slopes to get used to it again.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi MOTMS,

She and others have already chimed in about that earlier on in this thread.

Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have camped both at Izaak Walton and Tully Lake. I prefer Tully. It has good fishing and in the evening you can walk up on the upper benches and get great photographs of Red Slate Mtn. There are a hundred little lakes up on that bench (same bench as Cotton Lake- I think some of the smaller lakes are prettier than Cotton Lake) that also would make fantastic campsites, but no fishing. Beware of Horse Heaven- it should have been named Mosquito Heaven. Worst mosquitoes I ever saw in the Sierra. Tullys Hole is just about as bad. DO NOT camp at these locations!

Yes, yes - do not miss Grinnell Lake. It is easiest reached from Laurel Lake via a southwest gully that is shown as dry on the map. There is seasonal water in the gully. I descended from Grinnell Lake once, down the outlet to the meadow well below Laurel Lake, and it involved some really steep slabs. Worked out but was a nail biter. Laurel Lake is full of small fish. It is a one-cast, one fish deal. It would do that lake good to have people fish a lot and get the population down to match the available food supply.

There is a big log crossing of Mono Creek downstream from the horse crossing, but it is a real brushy pain to get to. Unless Mono Creek is really deep or swift, it is really easier just to wade at the horse crossing.

I prefer to camp at Virginia Lake rather than Purple Lake. Purple Lake is grand central station for PCT hikers. Pika Lake is much better camping than Duck Lake (north end). I was also pleasantly surprised with Deer Lakes - much more scenic than it looks on the topo map. I also did not like Mammoth Pass to Reds Meadow - old burn area. If I were to do it again I would walk out to Mammoth Lakes and take the free shuttle bus to the town. But then, if you are a purist, you would miss the very last end of this section of the SHR.