TR: 5/24 - 5/25/2013 Lyons Lake, Desolation Wilderness

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: 5/24 - 5/25/2013 Lyons Lake, Desolation Wilderness

Post by FeetFirst »

Calipeder, I keep planning to do that very traverse, but somehow haven't yet. I've been to the top of Pyramid via west ridge and up near Price when I headed xcountry from Clyde to Island Lake, but never the full traverse. I'm jealous. Have fun and be safe.

SSSdave, Sorry to hear that. It may be what the doctor ordered though. When I get out of the valley, all of my allergies go away. :nod:

Vaca Russ, You're welcome. I'm glad it's helpful. I would imagine with the warm weather that the lake should be thawed out by next week. Oh yeah, if you see a devilishly cute rodent with a taste for backpack padding, tell him "thanks a lot" for me. I now have a "custom" hipbelt.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by madeintahoe »

Beautiful pictures! Lyons Lake and the hike along the creek is one of my favorites in Desolation!
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

madeintahoe wrote:Beautiful pictures! Lyons Lake and the hike along the creek is one of my favorites in Desolation!
Thank you, madeintahoe. Also thank you digital photography for allowing me to take hundreds of shots to accidently stumble upon three decent ones. :D
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
Renopacker76
Topix Newbie

Post by Renopacker76 »

Great TR!!! Thanks for sharing your adventure!!!!
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

FeetFirst wrote:
madeintahoe wrote:Also thank you digital photography for allowing me to take hundreds of shots to accidentally stumble upon three decent ones. :D
:nod: When I started to seriously backpack, cameras had film, and I had to learn to pace myself, having only 6 or 7 rolls of film for the longer trips. Also with a speedster pard, I had to learn to frame and shoot or get left behind. Now I am taking my noob backpacker friend out there who has a digital camera (with panorama!) and aside from taking forever to take every shot, he feels he has to take a picture of every rock and tree on the trail. It drives me bonkers. But at least it gets me pictures of ME for once! :lol:
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

FeetFirst,

One month later and things really have changed! The lake is completely ice free as well as most of the route up to the crest of the Crystal Range.

Sport and I fueled up on organic, wild brookies and took the girls up to Price, Agassiz and Pyramid.
The Girls on Pyramid.JPG
Look for a full report in the peak bagging section. I will post it when I get the good pictures from "Sport".

Thanks again!

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

Vaca Russ wrote:FeetFirst,

One month later and things really have changed! The lake is completely ice free as well as most of the route up to the crest of the Crystal Range.

Sport and I fueled up on organic, wild brookies and took the girls up to Price, Agassiz and Pyramid.
The Girls on Pyramid.JPG
Look for a full report in the peak bagging section. I will post it when I get the good pictures from "Sport".

Thanks again!

-Russ
Sorry for not responding earlier, but I just noticed your post. #-o

Talk about change! Very cool you guys headed up to the top of the Range -- with your dogs even! Off to go find the full report...
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

FeetFirst wrote: Off to go find the full report...
FF,

Here is a link to the report.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9545" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.