When is my dog ready to backpack?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: When is my dog ready to backpack?

Post by schmalz »

Good stuff Bill.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Let's please keep the conversation civil, refrain from any personal attacks, and taking
this thread completely of track.

Thanks,
Mav
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by whrdafamI? »

Mav, I have tried keeping it civil. I made no personal reference to ANY BODY on here but you can see where he took it. There was nothing in my post that would indicate that I was being a "guru".
Last edited by whrdafamI? on Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Snowtrout »

I asked a question about dogs paws on another posts and someone suggested Handhills Toughen Up. Bought 2 bottles and applied it twice a day to both of our dogs paws, two weeks before our trip. Even brought some to apply if our dogs feet got beat up. Yes it did seem to toughen their paws up before the trip and our two doxies paws were fine after the 12 mile trip up into the Sierras.

Something to check out.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

Here is the topic where Bill and I initially disagreed regarding booties:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7830" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can decide for yourself what is best for your dog regarding protecting their pads. I've never claimed that any specific method is ideal for all breeds, but like most other things, I think pre trip preparation is always the best way to mitigate injury.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I have some booties just in case.

Since my dog hiked 10+ miles with me recently in decomposed granite and rocks and snow patches a couple weeks ago without an issue, I doubt I'll need 'em, but I did get some lightweight simple canvas-like booties at a clearance price, so we have them if we need them.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

My dog is a re-home, three years old, obedience trained - but what makes her so great for hiking is she LOVES to walk and walk and walk. I put a pack on her the week I got her, and she didn't try to get out of it or tear it off, just walked. I could probably convince her to do anything when the leash is on her. I open a car door, she slinks back to the porch - I show her the leash and she gets in.

So this weekend, her first backpacking trip is a four day - she's had ambitious day hikes without a hitch - and she's carrying her food, booties, ccf pad, a tie out with which to leash her to a tree and give her some freedom, and a fleece coat I ordered from Sierra Trading Post for a good discount. She has rather fine hair and has blown her coat, and we're going to elevation. Even though she is good at coming back when called and doesn't really show interest in chasing things, despite being a herding dog by pedigree, I intend to keep her on a lead most of the time.

I think a dog is ready to backpack when she's reliably obedient, doesn't chew through straps and leads, doesn't rush headlong (stop and "leave it" work), and able to do decent miles in the terrain you're going to be in. Mine has been fine, curls up and naps when we stop, walks when we walk, and was still wagging her tail when we were done for the day.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Thanks all for the advice. The idea of booties as "first aid" sounds good. I had not thought of a dog-specific first aid kit. A few dog pain relief tablets are a good idea. I will ask the vet what would be good to take for dog medicine. And tweezers to remove ticks. She would get several ticks a day last fall.

I am not sure about any doggy clothing. She is a "rough coat" border collie - is really furry. She has slept in temperatures near freezing (car camping) without problems as long as she has a pad below. I am thinking of letting her just eat and drink out of my cooking pot. She is real good at licking the pots and pans clean at home!

This may be a stupid question, but if it rains and the dog gets wet, how do you dry her off before bedtime? Or does it matter? A wet dog in the tent does not sound very appealing to me. I think on our first trip I may take my bivy sack to protect my sleeping bag inside the tent and have the dog sleep in the tent and see how it goes.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

is she on frontline or advantage? that helps with the tick problem (mostly advantage). Dogs also can take benydryl. you just have to know the dose. it's the same pill we might take, but per pound for the dog. cover the dog at night.. they like that. small quilt.

Bring a towel.. dry her off. and that's as good as it gets.

At this point, just take her! as long as you have first aid booties, you're good to go.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

A microfiber towel would be the ticket with my dog - a dense coat is more problematic if the dog's really soaked.

I have my dog on a once a month worm and flea medication, Trifexis, and put a tick collar (yes, it's that specific, they have them on Dr Foster Smith) on her for spring. It's good for three months.

There is a clearance on cordura booties over here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... pcatid=868" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I picked up four pairs - it would be lighter to carry all four than a single set of the Ruffwear booties with vibram soles.