Bishop Pass & Lake ediza 2012 (newbie trips)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
scottawr
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Bishop Pass & Lake ediza 2012 (newbie trips)

Post by scottawr »

Last summer I took my close friends who had never been backpacking to bishop pass. I had been once before with my dad and new it was a great beginner area. We went for 4 days in early July 2012 there was no snow except for a small patch up on top of the pass enough to make slushies as it was mildly hot in the 80's. My favorite part of the trip was when I convinced my best friend to jump in to one of the lakes without telling him they are ice cold even in summer.

2nd trip of the summer was the river trail from Agnew meadows to lake Ediza during late august. I was reading missing in the minarets during the late summer and decided to make a short overnight trip up to Ediza and back. great scenery even when it rained on us for about 15min. autumn was starting to take over and the area looked great with all the yellow aspens and meadows. on the way back to mammoth we stopped at the devils postpile.

I had been to both of these places before but I figured they were great ways to introduce my friends to the back country, can't wait to check out some of the gems you guys show off.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bishop Pass & Lake ediza 2012 (newbie trips)

Post by maverick »

Thanks Scott for taking the time to post this so fast! Looks like your friends are having
a fun time, how could you not in such beautiful surroundings. So are they hooked?
Where and when are you taking them this Summer in the Sierra?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
scottawr
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by scottawr »

They absolutely loved it, I was so glad especially after getting rained on. They are slowly gearing up from my hand me downs and getting cheap REI gear.

I was looking at a few hikes in SEKI/Yosemite for the guys, but now that I have a one month old I'm not sure if I will be able to get a back country trip in this summer with the baby. I at least want to get a car camping trip to sequoia and leave mommy and baby at the campsite while I check out Alta peak and take them on the shorter well known sequoia short hikes like Moro rock and the big trees. I already have a osprey baby carrier backpack I'm just waiting on his neck to be more stable before he hits the trail.

my little peak-bagger
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

He looks adorable!! Congratulation to you and your wife!!!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org