Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Aeropilot
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Lurker stepping out of the willows

Post by Aeropilot »

Hi there,

I'm Ron ... been lurking here on-and-off for about a year ... been going to the Sierra ever since the early '60s, first fishing in the Summer at Mammoth Lakes with my Dad, then backpacking and climbing with friends from college. I currently live in Seattle (ten years now), but plan on visiting CA every Summer I can get the time off to do so. There's lots to see up here, of course, but there's something special about the Sierra ... the most popular area in the Cascades is a place in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness called the Enchantments, and it looks a lot like Sierra timberline country. :smirk: Hiked up to Horton Lakes a couple of years ago and it brought back a lot of memories. I used to XC ski up the South Lake Road during the Winters of 1993 - 2001 as well, and those are great memories too. Visiting the Minaret backcountry in about six weeks for a short jaunt via Roper's SHR. Devils Postpone > SHR to Thousand Island Lake > PCT to Agnew Meadows ... can't wait. Still training, albeit at sea level. Hope to get a few mountain day hikes in before my trip South. Cheers! :)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

Post by maverick »

Hi Ron,

Welcome to HST! Looking forward to reading a TR of your upcoming trip. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Aeropilot
Topix Novice

Post by Aeropilot »

Thank You ... just viewed the TR from the folks that were up there abouts in early June ... lots of snow ... bought some *microspikes* today, just in case. I have hiked this section before, many years ago in July of '84, and it was a spectacular trip. Looks like there is now some faint trail where there didn't used to be, and I am only really concerned about that (sometime) snowfield between Cecile Lake outlet and Iceberg Lake. I remember hiking it without poles last time but I've got them this time so no worries. I actually met Dave Beck coming up the slope when I traversed it back then ... nice guy. Expecting some snow, naturally, but it sure melts fast given our current global climate conditions :( Anyway, I will be taking pictures at least and will post a TR when I return ... perhaps a video too if I have enough space and battery power left. Thanks for the welcome and best to you on this holiday weekend! Cheers :)
Espi
Topix Novice

Post by Espi »

My name is Scott and I live in Mesa Arizona... I grew up in the outdoors of Pennsylvania. I moved to Arizona in my early 20s and realized what this state had to offer. My backpacking used to be base around rock climbing adventures then I realized that there was actually good fishing if you wanted to walk a bit.

I enjoy backpacking and fly fishing here but need to venture out a bit more.

I am planning my first trip to the eastern Sierra Nevada next month. We are doing a week long fishing/ backpacking trip towards the end of August.

This forum is a wealth of knowledge and I appreciate all of the input. Much thanks and if anyone needs anything in AZ please reach out to me.

Scott
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Aeropilot and Scott,

Welcome to HST! Looking forward to that TR.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Where do you plan on going for your fishing trip?
Tonydavid
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Tonydavid »

Hi…My name is TonyDavid. Found this site today through Google search. Looking to take my 13 year old son on his 3rd backpack trip in the Serras and would love some advice. I am experienced backpacker. Started when I was 15 and now 58. I go once a year with my brother from Oregon. We mainly backpack in Pacific Northwest. Will post reports on any trips in Sierras.
Espi
Topix Novice

Post by Espi »

Cross Country wrote:Where do you plan on going for your fishing trip?
We are going 6 days in from Onion Valley over Keasarge Pass around Rae Lakes loop with various side trips.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Tonydavid,

Welcome to HST!

jwill
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by jwill »

Hi there.

I've been lurking for the past year or so, although my dad posts from time to time and reported on our trip to Desolation a couple week ago.

I'm doing the JMT at the end of the month and appreciate all the info shared here, hopefully I'll have something to add once I'm back.