Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
markatrog
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by markatrog »

Hello, my name is Mark, I'm
56 with a family of 6 2 boys, 1 girl, 1 boxer and my awesome wife. We live close to Modesto Ca in a town called Ripon. I'm a self implored window cleaner and I do power washing as well. My hobbies are mountain biking, asking, hiking, camping, gardening, canoeing, and fishing. I would consider my self in great physical condition and skilled at back country living. Lived in New Jersey, Ohio, and Florida,
I have taken up backpack in in the last 2 years and have done most of my trips out of Crabtree, east of me on high way 108, I am very familiar with this area and looking for adventures. Looking for packers that want Lake Tahoe to Yosemite or any place In between

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the intro! Hope you find a hikihng partner for your trip in Aug. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Lett
Topix Novice

Post by Lett »

Hi all!

You have a great site here. I've been a lurker for some time now and feel that I need to offer an introduction.

I'm Ray, vintage 73 yrs, and have been in California and hiking for the previous 8 years. I know the Emigrant quite well, as well as points south. I prefer the access from 395 even though I live in Vacaville. that drive south on 99 is not to my taste. My 8 day jaunt a few weeks ago was Kennedy Meadow-Bond Pass-Dorothy Lake-Lake Helen-Tower Lake-Mary Lake-Tilden Lake-Bond Pass and back to the trailhead.

I prefer some off trail when possible and have been known to fish and photo.

Thanks for running this site. It is a great store of knowledge!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hey Ray,

Welcome to HST! Thank you for taking the time to write up this intro Ray. :thumbsup:
Looking forward to reading your TR from your recent trip, were the mosquitoes bad, Tilden can be horrible. :(

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Lett
Topix Novice

Post by Lett »

Hi Mav,

The mozzies were only really bad when traipsing thru brush. But then, I'm not too affected by them. Lucky, I guess.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

That's what I thought, that is one of Yosemite's Skeeter Factories, just like Big Wet Meadow in SEKI. :snipe:

sdhiker
Topix Novice

Post by sdhiker »

Hi, My name is Brad

I've been hiking on and off for as long as I can remember. I think it started when I was 7 or 8 hiking with the USO on Guam. It has always been something I enjoyed. When I got out of the Army back in the early 90's I moved to San Diego. My cousin, his wife and I would scan through "Afoot and Afield: San Diego by Jerry Schad put tabs on all this hikes we wanted to do. We never got to all the hikes that we put tabs on but years later a client of mine got me to go up a local mountain "Mt Woodson, or as everyone knows it now "that potato chip rock hike". Hiking up Mt Woodson was such a great workout and a great escape that I started going up 1-2 a week. From there it just exploded and I started hiking everywhere I could. I started a hiking club at my gym, and started a web page to share the hiking trails with everyone http://www.ihikesandiego.com/. Naturally as I started hiking more and sharing my experiences my photographic skills started to increase as well, now I seem to spend just as much time processing my photos as I do hiking and taking them. I'm always looking for more information that can help me with hiking and or photography and I stumbled across this one while looking for information on taking Milky Way Shots.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Brad,

Thank you for writing up an intro. :thumbsup:

Randyhol
Topix Novice

Post by Randyhol »

My introduction.

65 yr. old male. Married. Both of us long time gym rats, and avid day hikers for the last 15 years, almost all of it either in the local (Ventura County California) Santa Monica Mountains, or near/in Yosemite (southern area), Ansel Adams Wilderness, Sierra National Forest areas near Oakhurst. After years of trying to convince my wife that multi-day backpacking trips were the only way to really enjoy the areas we visit, she is finally ready to take the plunge and sleep outdoors. First trip planned for September, most likely Lillian Lakes Loop area, stops at Lady Lakes, Staniford Lake, Chittenden Lake. Want to make first time out a place and route we know well to hopefully minimize surprises. Have way too much to learn as it is in using equipment, camp kitchen, etc. Fanatical LNT practitioners. Kudos to all who run this site. And thanks for the reconn form. An outstanding idea.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Randy,

Welcome to HST! Thank you for your introduction. :thumbsup:
Kudos to all who run this site. And thanks for the reconn form. An outstanding idea

Your welcome, hope you put the Form to good use Randy!