Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
elimvzq
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

Post by elimvzq »

maverick wrote:
Probably should spin this off to a new thread. What route? Are the roads open? What is your plan for snow?
Please do, but she wasn't asking for any info Russ.

I'm a dude :) We just got back from Hamilton Lakes, I'll type up a report to post!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

I'm a dude :) We just got back from Hamilton Lakes, I'll type up a report to post!
By bad. Looking forward to your report. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
CAchief
Topix Acquainted

Post by CAchief »

Hi everyone, my name is Ryan and I am a 32 y.o. in San Luis Obispo California. I've been on several backpacking trips the last 7 years and generally desire to get into the higher altitude of the Sierra Nevada. I love to bring my three-year-old Vizsla Branch which restricts me to the Wilderness areas generally. The best backpacking trip I've been on was last August when my cousins and I went to Margaret Lakes.

Anyways, look forward to having discussions with all of you.

Here is a picture of my dog Branch at frog Lake which served as our base camp during the Margaret Lakes tripImage
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Welcome aboard, CAchief! Thank you for the intro. I love Vizslas! There are plenty of places to take Branch and a number of members here who hike with dogs whom I'm sure will be happy to share their knowledge.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

"I'm hoping to take my oldest (6) on his first backpacking trip this Fall." mrsandman.

Welcome to you all. I'm pretty new to this HST community, but I guess I can welcome you too.

For my wife and two sons and me, the greatest joy of our lives has been the family backpacking trips we've taken in amazing places around the world. We love to support other traveling, and mountaineering families in any way we can. Our general MO is to tailor the trips to the boys interests, and let 'em rip! Kids- from crawling babies on- are a lot hardier than many people think.

We hope your trips go wonderfully well, The Harlens.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
CAchief
Topix Acquainted

Post by CAchief »

welcome. I'm behind you with the kids (2.5 y.o. boy 1 month girl) but it's my goal to raise them outdoors. I Would love to see your trip reports and pics; struggles and successes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
sloth
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by sloth »

Hi all.
I'm from the Pacific Northwest. In my 40s. Class 3 backpacker. I have 2 kids. We are planning some local trips for this summer. My wife is not into sleeping on the ground, so longer backpacking trips are usually something I do by myself. I often go solo, and if so will stick to the trails. If I have a traveling companion, some off-trail is fun. I'm not into anything too sketchy (high wafer river crossings. steep snow with run-out consequences that would require an ice axe. I don't do glaciers) I have done one other trip in the sierras, 5-6 years ago over Silliman pass, up Deadman canyon and out over Elizabeth pass. Looking to take a longer trip in the sierras this summer. Thanks to all of the folks on this site. It has been very helpful for planning (my favorite wintertime activity. :) )
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Sloth,

Welcome to HST! Looking forward to your TR's and photos from you Sierra trips, but in the meantime, we do enjoy TR's and photos from places beyond the Sierra too, in our "Beyond The Sierra Nevada" section at the bottom of the board. :nod:

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
japhy0508
Topix Acquainted

Post by japhy0508 »

Howdy all....been a member for a couple months now. I've been climbing, mostly trad, for somewhere close to 20 years. Moved to California about 15 years ago. Love getting into the back country when ever possible. Have a daughter of 8 years and wanting to expose her to the magic of the mountains over the coming years. I have fly fished off and on since a kid and consider it a passion now including tying flies. Was inspired to do the JMT last year and it was a life changing experience for me to experience a range I have longed to explore for so long. Ideal trip in the mountains would be a pack, fly rod and small climbing rack and a couple weeks to explore. I'm enjoying the rich knowledge base on this forum and open wiliness to extent any help/insight/information that can be provided. Thanks so much for keeping it up and running for so many to participate in!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Japhy0508,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for the formal intro. Would love to read about your adventure on the JMT! :)