Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Backpackingmom
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by Backpackingmom »

Hi everyone!

I joined last year, but admit to lurking a for a few years! My hubby got me into backpacking about 20 years ago and I have been hooked ever since! We have hiked a lot of trail miles in the Sierra's and completed the JMT two years in a row. We also love the Sawtooths in Idaho. This year we are hitting the Colorado Trail in July and cannot wait! Hoping to also hit the Wind River Range one day.

I appreciate this community as the information is so helpful! Thank you everyone

*** We are headed up Piute pass on June 18 for a 50 miler - If I don't come back and post a TR, then you know it was death by mosquitoes!!!!
thepreciselife
Topix Acquainted

Post by thepreciselife »

Hello!

Recently started planning my first backpacking trip and came
across this forum. Without this place, idk how well my planning could of gone
but I am thankful for all the knowledge I've acquired here from all the members.

Thank you! :thumbsup:
Not until you take that first breathe of fresh air surrounded by nature, will you realize this is where you were meant to be.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Backpackingmom,

Welcome to HST!
*** We are headed up Piute pass on June 18 for a 50 miler - If I don't come back and
post a TR, then you know it was death by mosquitoes!!!!
Looking forward to your TR, just be prepared for those little blood sucking vampires, and
then you will have a great time in spite of them. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Welcome to both of you backpackingmom and thepreciselife. Hope you will find valuable info and share it as well! Good hiking!

backpackingmom, if you ever want any information on Uncompaghre NF, CO send me a PM. I hiked most all of it when I was a guide. Beautiful territory and some nice 14ers, technical and non.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Tom_H, It'd be pretty cool if you posted some of your past TR's on this forum.
phoenix2000
Topix Acquainted

Post by phoenix2000 »

I've been a member of this forum and lurker for many years now. I've only posted 1-2 times but never posted a trip report.

I did a little backpacking in Scouts. I got back into backpacking after I graduated from college. My mother had remarried and my step father and step brother would take family and friends on an annual backpacking trip so naturally I went a long. My last 3 trips have been solo trips into the Kibbie Ridge area and I really like the challenge of both cross country travel and solo backpacking though it gets lonely at times. After reading trip reports on this forum I plan on going on another solo trip this year but to Emigrant Wilderness this time.

I wanted to thank everyone for their posts. I've gathered a wealth of knowledge from this forum. For instance

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3950&p=23498&hilit=+salt#p23498" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; helped me solve the problem where towards the end of the 1st days hike on every trip I was feeling nauseas, dizzy, light headed and just basically terrible. Now I always carry at least 1 canteen full of Gatorade and on the 1st days hike I carry pretzels.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2168&p=13893&hilit= ... ing#p13893" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; convinced me to buy some trekking poles and now my hands don't swell up after 1-2 hours of hiking.

Some of the other helpful items that I learned about via the forums are

Hammocks - now I sleep thru the night in my Clark Jungle Hammock, North American model instead of tossing and turning on the ground in a tent.
Convertible pants have helped me cut down on the amount of clothing I bring.
Sleeping bag liner makes it feel like I am sleeping in silk sheets instead of that awful feeling the sides of the sleeping bag give. Plus it's great to use at the start of the night when it's still too warm to get into my sleeping bag.
Esbit Stove - I don't like the idea of carrying liquid fuel so this works out great for my solo trips
Injinji Socks - Have little pouches for each toe that made the blister problem on my little toe go away
Spot Device - Needed something for my solo trips, satellite phone was too expensive and found out that you can rent a spot device.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Phoenix2000,

See you did not received an official welcoming back in 2011, so welcome to HST! :)
Looking forward to reading your TR when you get back from your Emigrant trip.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
LonePine
Topix Acquainted

Post by LonePine »

Hello Everyone,

I work as a computer programmer and systems analyst. Sitting behind a desk at sea level with only 3 weeks vacation makes my treks into the Sierra challenging. Been 'packing 5 years now. At age 65 my first hike was across the Sierra (west to east). Entered at Mineral King, exited at Horseshoe Meadows. I was sick the entire time with altitude induced diabetes. (How does that happen? When your potassium level is insufficient to keep generating insulin.) My shoes tore a hole in my feet. Two lessons learned. Pack too heavy - lesson 3.

I hike alone because most people my age don't want to do this stuff and younger hikers are too fast. I have completed the JMT in sections, did Baxter Pass to Kearsarge last September. Next week I'm up Kearsarge Pass to Charlotte's dome, then JMT to Wallace Lake then Whitney via the Mountaineer's route. September I'll try the first leg of Ropers High Sierra route to Bishop Pass.

I've been most impressed with Kathy Wing's trips. She posts on this site and I've seen her web site of journeys - http://kathywing.smugmug.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I can only say WOW.

Thanks everyone for the inspiration and information!

Walt
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Walt,

Welcome to HST! Hope to read your TR's in the futures, and yes Kathy W. has
cool site. Good luck on the SHR, have fun and be safe.
Consider using are HST ReConn Form for an additonal level of safety for your trip: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10192#p76926" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SpiritStag
Topix Newbie

Post by SpiritStag »

Hello all,
I've been on here for awhile now trying to get tips and familiarize myself with different parts of the Sierra. Figured it was about time to introduce myself. I try to do at least one trip to the Sierra each year. Last year was Sabrina Basin and this year I've got a few trips lined up to North Fork Big Pine Creek, Mineral King (Timber Gap, HST, Sawtooth Pass) and Bear Lakes Basin (Pine Creek TH). I really appreciate all the posts and info. This site an awesome resource. I live in San Gabriel and wouldn't mind meeting up with any interested local folks to talk trips and experience. I'm 41 work in real estate and have been backpacking over 10 years now...longest trip was Mosquito Flat to Duck Pass and done several shorter trips including Rae Lakes Loop. I hike solo, with a friend or my wife when she feels adventurous.
Have a great summer!