Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ereinys
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by ereinys »

Have you had the chance to visit/explore Iron Lake and Iron Creek yet on the western side of the Minarets?
Nope, not yet. I've been to the N. Fork San Joaquin drainage via the Granite Stairway and then over N. Glacier Pass on a different trip. I would love to go over Ritter Pass down to the N. Fork one of these days.
Lakes Basin, Dumbbell Lakes Basin and Amphitheater Lakes Basin, the trifecta, heart of SEKI, gotta love that whole area.
I haven't yet been to Dumbbell Lakes or Amphitheater Lake-----high on my list. That part of SEKI is spectacular---especially the views from the top of Red Pass and Windy Point.
lethalsheetal
Topix Newbie

Post by lethalsheetal »

Hello all! I am a lover of nature, and have been since I was a young girl. My dad moved here from India and fell in love with our National Parks. Yosemite and Sequoia are places we visited every summer. I've done many day hikes, from Half Dome to Pear Lake, but am planning my first backpacking trip ever with my partner for mid/late August. I need some help figuring out a good route for a 4 night trip. I'm in good shape, but have several injuries from a life as a professional dancer and choreographer. So, looking for maximum scenery without completely killing my body. I'd say 10 miles maximum per day and would prefer not doing too many steep inclines and declines that go on for more than a mile. Recently hiked DOWN to Yosemite Valley from Tioga Road and will never do that again! My body would rather hike UP! Haven't been on too many forums before, so not sure where exactly to post my questions. Any guidance is most appreciated!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Lethalsheetal,

Welcome to HST! Thank you for you intro. :)
Post you question in this section, just start a new thread, but would recommend that you use the "search" feature, many answers to your questions can be found with this feature, and if after that you still have questions, please ask away.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
bigbret
Topix Newbie

Post by bigbret »

Hello fellow lovers of nature. My name is Bret, I have been backpacking since I was a little kid. Just completed an amazing trip out to Hyatt Lake and Louse canyon in Stanislaus . I had a great time with a friend I have known since middle school. We took some nice cross county passes and really maximized our short stay to see many lovely lakes.. Cheers and enjoy the beauty out there. :D
psykokid
Topix Regular

Post by psykokid »

Hey all! My names Jake and I'm new to the site. I've been hiking and backpacking since I was a kid growing up outside St.Louis. I moved to Pasadena in 99 and that's where I've been ever since. Did the whole settling down and getting hemmed in with work and family thing for a while. Now that the kids are older I get out pretty often in various guises being it camping with my son's scout troop, off roading and car camping with the guys in the rover club, or boondocking out in the national forests with the wife and kids as a base to stage day hikes from. Now that my son has bridged over from Cubs Scouts to Boy Scouts I'm looking to get out even more both with the Scouts and with friends leaving the truck at the trail head and getting further out off the beaten path to fish and hike and explore more of the wilderness areas where roads don't go.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Bret and Jake,

Welcome to HST! Thank you, to the both of you, for taking the time to write an intro!

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
evanBeta
Topix Newbie

Post by evanBeta »

Hey All

My name is Evan. Born and raised in Indiana, moved to Oakland for graduate school. Did my first backpacking trip up into Emmigrant Wilderness when I was 26 (3 years ago) and fell in love instantly. The Sierras is my favorite place in the world. Spending a week in the mountains is a Humbling, Spiritual, and Powerful experience, and it's something that has become a huge necessity in my life. I have recently relocated to the East coast for a few years (following the girlfriend around) but I will be making my annual trek into the High Sierra next Wednesday. Heading to Nine lakes Basin via the High Sierra Trail.

I am also an avid (although still amateur) backcountry fly fisherman. Nothing beats a rise at 10,000 feet.
counselor
Topix Novice

Post by counselor »

Hi all! Name is Brett, I'm 28, living in LA, and finally back on the HSTs after a few years outside CA. I didn't discover California until I was 18, but when I did I didn't look back. Came out here from New Hampshire on a whim, stayed for school, and am now trying (with varying degrees of success) to juggle being a working adult while still getting out on the trails and doing what I actually enjoy :).

99% of my hikes are solo, mainly because it's so damn hard to find other people who enjoy tackling the challenge of a quick weekend hike. You can usually catch me sleeping outside your local permit office on a Saturday morning trying to snag a walk-in (I gave up trying to reserve Saturday trailheads a long time ago). I'm always looking for other people to backpack/carpool with. I'm usually leaving LA around 3 or 4 Saturday morning, and back around 10 or 11 Sunday night.

I'm in pretty good shape and have a good deal of hiking experience, but the longest solo backpacking trip was only 5 days. I used to think that was a long time until I stumbled onto this site. I'll try to post my plans on here ahead of time so people can jump in and carpool/backpack. A 4 hour ride is always more enjoyable with a little company, and certain memories are better shared with others (like the first time I rounded the corner and saw a bear).
chrismis21
Topix Novice

Post by chrismis21 »

I'm going to go for the preemptive post before Maverick asks ;)

I joined the board a few years ago and pop in periodically for some trail beta or ideas on hike alternates, etc.. My wife and I have four young daughters, and we love being outdoors. We spent 4 years in NorCal, living in the Sierras and hiking and backpacking in many areas, but particularly within Tahoe National Forest and in the American River area.

We have lived in SoCal now for a couple of years, and while the wilderness is a bit different here than up north, we're still having a blast introducing the kids to the desert and a variation of mountainous terrain.

With kids, my wife and I don't get out as much any more for backpacking trips, but we do many day hikes. Every couple of years we'll do a shorter backpacking trip or a bigger day hike (Whitney, Cactus to Clouds, etc..). It's fun to have a challenge and something to train for while we wait for the kids to grow into their overnighting skills.

I have told the kids when they turn 6 they'll get a backpacking trip with me. My oldest turned 6 recently and she's up for her first trip this summer. She's plenty of camping and hiking, and is excited beyond belief for her trip. I can't wait to share one of my favorite activities with her, either :)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Evan, Brett, and Chris,

Welcome to HST! Thank you all for your introductions! :thumbsup: