Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
hal
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by hal »

Hello Folks. Long-time lurker here, so I'll bite. At 56, I don't do much backpacking anymore. In fact, I haven't backpacked since bear cannisters were required.

So I like to live vicariously with your reports :) In my teens and twenties, I climbed 21 fourteeners in Colorado, many in March. And I had a 2-week climbing trip in Alaska, climbing Mount Drum involving vertical ice climbing on glaciers. And a few backpacking trips with buddies in the Sierras out of Toulomne Meadows, towards Cathedral Peak and then cross country.

Then, in my 30's, I thought I'd try solo backpacking. First trip was to Lake Reflection in Kings Canyon. Once I got there, it was pretty spooky. It's quiet by lakes, and when the bears came around at night, I didn't get much sleep. But after that trip I was hooked on taking annual cross-country 7-day solo trips into Kings Canyon, alternating East/West entries.

My most memorable trips were a loop thru Gardiner Basin via Rae Lakes/Sixty Lakes Basin, spending time in the Gorge of Despair with the ascent of the Silver Spur, and camping at Bench Lake over Taboose pass, taking day trips. Not sure if I will be doing any TRs, but I do enjoy seeing people enjoying the Sierra backcountry and writing about it. It brings back lots of fond memories. The Sierras are the most idylic mountains in the summer--when you're in shape! (I used to train with a 100# pack.)

So thanks for letting me lurk :)

Brian
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Hal,

Welcome to HST! Hope you will get a chance to get out into the Sierra once again.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Dizzy
Topix Novice

Post by Dizzy »

Hi All,
This is great site to get current trails conditions especially photos, so thanks a lot for all contributors.
I don't hike that much maybe 3-5 Sierra hikes per year, but you can find few past TRs on my blog: http://skydizzy.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I also fly a paraglider and there're some aerial photos of eastern Sierra that maybe interesting. Here is few examples:

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Dizzy,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for the photo's, and very kool blog Dizzy. :)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Buford
Topix Acquainted

Post by Buford »

Hi all,
I have been lurking a while to research trip ideas for this summer. The only backpacking I have done in the Sierra Nevada is the Rae Lakes loop last September. It was as stunning as I hoped, and not as crowded as I feared.

I plan on doing a couple trips this year and will probably ask for advice later when I have a better idea of where I am going.

I hike in the desert occasionally and do overnighters there in the winter. I often travel solo.

This board is a great resource for trip reports and getting ideas for future hikes. I don't really have anything of value to add, but I really appreciate the intel and pictures on this board. Thanks.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Buford,

Welcome to HST! Looking forward to reading your many furure adventures in the Sierra. :)

js hill
Topix Acquainted

Post by js hill »

Hello there. I have posted a few questions on HST but haven't shared a trip I've been on. I started backpacking in the Sierra in 1971 and have been hooked ever since. My early equipment was sturdy but heavy. I think my unloaded pack weighed 5 lbs. and my pair of indestructible hiking boots was well over 3.5 lbs. But who cared because 50 lb. plus loads were not out of the ordinary. Now at 63 years of age, I count every ounce and my wife and I are able to go for up to 10 days carrying under 30 lbs. In a couple of weeks we are going to hike up to Mt. Whitney. Our other planned hike this summer is to finish the JMT. The last leg of the trail we have to complete is from Reds Meadow to Yosemite Valley. We may not be able to do this until late August and I am concerned about the water availability this year. HST has been a wonderful resource for me. The vast amount of info I have taken in from this forum has been incredibly valuable. I promise to post a trip this year. p.s. is there a thread for old timers to share what it was like in the "golden age" of backpacking? Thanks, js hill
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Going back over your previous posts I see you haven't been welcomed to HST.
Welcome to HST! :) Looking forward to reading about your adventure on the
JMT.

JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular

Post by JosiahSpurr »

Hey Exodus!

And anyone else, but especially Exodus for the FISH: Want to try for lakes near Mt. Williamson in eastern Sierra? Crazy about the ES, like Lubken Creek, Carroll Ck, Diak Ck, Tuttle Ck... the unique reason to go to the Williamson lakes is it has some special fish. My days off are Thursdays and Fridays June-Dec 2013 and would rather hike with someone than do the usual solo. This summer starting SOON! You can write email to yahoo dot com using this id. It will probably take 2 or 3... attempts to get to the fishing spots off-trail. Cheers ROBERT CYMBALA
old and slow
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by old and slow »

Hello all,

another lurker finally stepping out of the shadows....just want to say how much I enjoy the forum; it is entertaining, informational, inspiring and just a whole lot of fun! I came to backpacking late, my first trip came at age 57, five years ago. I had done lot of day hikes and some car camping but got the backpacking bug from my son (rather than the other way around as would seem to be the norm). I have mainly done a couple of short (2-3 nights) trips a year e.g. Henry Coe, Big Sur, Point Reyes, Yosemite. I have two trips planned for later this summer to Yosemite to Young Lakes and Mono Pass/Parker Pass. However, from all I am learning on the HST forum I am already preparing for longer trips to the Southern Sierra in 2014. So, thanks again to the entire HST community for the great information and inspiration.

Chris