Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

Post by maverick »

Hi PostjMT,

Welcome to HST! :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
John B
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by John B »

Married with children under five... In recent years, I've counted it a good summer if we can finally just get the family all packed up and off to the mountains for a few days. Or the redwoods. At least outside.

Before that, of course, I had all the time in the world to myself, and did a fair bit of exploring on my own.

I'm glad to notice that the little ones have not only survived our car-based expeditions, but also seemed to flourish. They've actually enjoyed it. My wife too. (No small consolation there!)

So there are two huge adjustments: (1) babies in the woods and (2) all those people in the woods (!). Heretofore, my walks were almost always solo, golden silence.

Thanks for keeping me entertained vicariously while I watch and wait for the children, longing for the day I can take them up to all my favorite places I've been, and I haven't been to yet.

Meanwhile, it turns out even the shortest suburban stroll can be exciting as all get out. "Look Papa, look at my stick! ---Papa, a rock! ---Papa, mud!"

This summer: a week camping at Mammoth Lakes seems about right. I hope it's not *too* suburban.

I trust there's plenty of experience here to share, introducing young children to long-form outdoors activity, and cultivating their love of it all.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi John B,

Welcome to HST!
This summer: a week camping at Mammoth Lakes seems about right. I hope it's not *too* suburban.
It can get quite busy up there, especially the trails out of the Devil's Postpile, try to avoid going during the holiday's.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Weeble
Topix Newbie

Post by Weeble »

Hello fellow victims of the higher, the lighter and the fewer,
I guess I have been backpacking for a while. My first trip was as a kid (1973?), my uncle was on a grapefruit juice diet, (packed in tiny cans!) everyone else's food was canned beans, stew and corn, and as it was so warm going out no one brought a jacket. That night it snowed at the lake above where we camped and the wind was like a freight train. Stockholm syndrome? For some reason, I still keep going back.
My son, wife and I have gone on annual weeklong trips each summer for the past 10 years or so, and pick up shorter trips when we can. It is amazing what happens when you and your teenager can unplug for a week.
My favorite trips to date have been on various loops in Yosemite (Cathedral lakes and Matterhorn Canyon) & most recently the Rae Lakes loop.
I have been working on getting my lightweight backpacking game together and find that the prep is a bunch of fun in itself, (gear gear gear).Somehow though there is nothing so great as being out there on top of the world and cracking open a perfect, snow chilled IPA! :drinkers:
Thanks for all the info on your excellent site,
Happy Trails!
Weeble (ex lurker)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Weeble,

Welcome to HST! :)

Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

gwschenk, I assume you drink vodka... only pure vodka on your trips? ;)
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
meinberg
Topix Newbie

Post by meinberg »

Hi all,

Glad to be here. I recently moved to CA from Michigan and have done a lot of day hiking in the high Sierra of Yosemite and SEKI. My wife and I just returned from our honeymoon in New Zealand where we freedom hiked the Milford Track after completing the Routeburn and Kepler Tracks. We're looking forward to our first overnight backpacking trips in the Sierra this summer. We recently secured permits for the Rae Lakes loop (June) and the High Sierra Trail (July). I'm excited to read the posts here and report back with some notes when we return.

Cheers,
WM
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi WM,

Welcome to HST and California! :)
Would love to see a TR of your NZ trip in our "Beyond The Sierra Nevada" at bottom of the main page: http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... um.php?f=8

h2ofun04
Topix Newbie

Post by h2ofun04 »

I've lurked this site for a little while now. Found it thru some searches for Sierra hiking locations. Love reading the trip details/pictures! I started backpacking the sierra out of the South Lake/Sabrina area in the early 80's, mainly for the outdoor adventure and fishing (Habeggars(sic) I was cool). Stopped hiking after getting married (wife wasn't having the sleep in a tent idea). Upgraded to single after 20 years lol, and have found the love of hiking again. I've revisited the old Sierra locations a few times, Grand Canyon on a 4 day trip, did Half Dome, and The Narrows (top down) in the last few years. Looking forward to many new adventures as I get my g/f geared up and into it with me this year!
Thx for this site and all the great info and stories!
Al
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Al,

Welcome to HST, and back into the hiking world again!
Upgraded to single after 20 years lol
:)