Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rsnipes
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by rsnipes »

Greetings HST, Richard here. I've been lurking for a couple weeks now gathering info on the N Lake - S Lake loop. Heading down that way next Thursday-Sunday, and I can't wait as it looks amazing. I'm an ultra-runner from the Bay Area and this will be my first trip down in the Bishop area. All my Sierra experience so far has been around Tahoe/Yosemite, and most of that either day hiking or during ultra-marathons. Looking forward to my first true backcountry experience. Thanks to all that contribute here, the information I've gathered is fantastic! Cheers.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Richard,

Welcome to HST! Which ultras have you competed in Richard? Their is a woman I have met who also competes, she is from the Fremont area, she is usually going up towards the Mission Peak area when I see her, lots of tatoos, seen her in Trail Running Magazine too.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rsnipes
Topix Novice

Post by rsnipes »

Hah, that's probably Catra Corbett :) I've run dozens, but in the Sierra just Western States (Squaw to Auburn) and the various TRT distances (50K/50M/100M) on the rim trail between Spooner and Tahoe Meadows. I'll be back on the TRT this July after spending the previous week with the family down in Zion UT. Someday I'd like to come back and run the "Evolution 100K" but this time I'm going to take a few days and enjoy it.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hah, that's probably Catra Corbett.
Yeap, it was her.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Framps
Topix Newbie

Post by Framps »

Greetings, I've been scouring this site for the past couple of weeks looking for condition and trip reports in preparation for a section hike of the Sierra High Route, Mammoth to Tuolomne, departing on June 14th (trip report promised). I've been backpacking for 20 years or so, 15 in the Sierras. I've managed to do the JMT, 110 miles of the SHR and several shorter trips. I greatly appreciate the sharing of information here on this site and the work of those who maintain it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hey Framps,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for the intro, and the great picture! :thumbsup:
Have a wonderful, and safe trip, on your upcoming adventure on the SHR, looking forward to the TR and pictures. :nod:

Lurch
Topix Newbie

Post by Lurch »

Hi Everyone - just registered here today, found a link to this board via Summitpost. I didn't find a 'Partners' sub-forum here so I guess I'll start by posting up here until someone can redirect me.

I'm looking to meet people in the LA area to climb with up in the Sierra. I used to be very active from 2007-12 and have climbed most of the CA 14ers, Rainier, Adams, Orizaba and a handful of other peaks in the west. My partner who I went on most of these trips with has kinda mellowed out in the last couple of years and is now having a kid. I've slowed down my outdoor adventures as well (got married and bought a house), but I'm looking to get back into the mountains.

I enjoy short 2-3 day weekend trips peakbagging up in the eastern Sierra. Class 3 up to low 5th is in my comfort zone. I have all of my own gear, a decent amount of experience, a four wheel drive and can sustain my self in the outdoors and know my physical limits.

I guess shoot me a PM or post up if there's anyone out there with the same goals or can redirect me to a 'looking for partners' section of this forum. I'm located in Long Beach.

- Scott :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hey Scott,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for extending that invite to your fellow HST members. :thumbsup:
Check your PM.

jgaffney
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jgaffney »

I found this site while trolling for info on the Sierra High Route. There's lots of info here to digest.

I live in Sonoma County, CA, near Santa Rosa. I've been backpacking and camping since Boy Scout days in the 60's, but I didn't get serious about multiday trips until I discovered backpacking light about 10 years ago. That, plus FreezerBagCooking, really changed things for me. I still have my last copy of TOPO!, which I link to my eTex GPS.

I usually can get away for only 3 to 5-day trips because of work stuff. And, I usually hike by myself. So, I plan either loop hikes or hikes where I can ride public transportation back to my car. I've been as far north as Mt. Eddy in the Cascades, and south to the Ansel Adams Wilderness above Bass Lake. My usual trip is on the west side of the Sierras, from Desolation Wilderness down to the north end of Kings Canyon. Anywhere else is too much driving. I used to avoid Yosemite because of the entry fees. But, when I turned 62 and got the senior pass, everything changed. My wife and I spend a couple of days at the Yosemite Lodge every summer (she's a hiker, but not a backpacker - no showers!) so I try to plan a trip in or around Yosemite the week before our reservation. I drive up and go backpacking, and she rides Amtrak to meet me at the Lodge.

Last summer, I hiked the JMT from Tuolumne Meadows down to Devils Postpile. That was a bucket-list hike that I'd looked at for a couple of years. I spent the night in Mammoth at the hostel, then rode YARTS back up to Tuolumne Meadows the next day. Then, last September, I hiked in the Ansel Adams Wilderness, to Lillian Lake, Chittenden Lake and Lady Lake, where I got hammered by a thunderstorm the last night. This year in July, I'm going northeast out of Hetch Hetchy, almost to Wilma Lake (which I understand is a mosquito pit), then back through the Tiltill Valley. Then, in August, I'll hike around the Buena Vista Crest for 5 days, coming out at Happy Isles.

I'm looking forward to trading experiences here with the other members and getting insights on trips I might plan. And, I have lots of pics to share.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks for taking the time to write up this intro "J", and thanks for the shot of Garnet. ;)