Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
monterey_me
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

Post by monterey_me »

Hello,

I've been backpacking for decades & particularly love great sweeping granite & pools & rivers to enjoy a dip. I will post a trip report from a recent trip up Kibbie Ridge starting at Shingle Springs Trailhead ( or as few miles from there where the drivable road ends currently) over Styx Pass, down to Cherry Creek. The water was raging & uncrossable, amazing wildflowers, three rattlesnakes, and mostly an entire wilderness to myself.

I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has experience starting at Cherry lake and hiking up Cherry Creek Canyon? I have a trip planned for mid-august and really need some more beta on routes.

Thanks everyone for posting trip reports- so helpful & appreciated.

Lisa
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to HST! Looking forward to your TR of the area. Please post any questions about a certain area in the Backpacking section, also, try using the "Search" feature at the top of the main forum page, you will get some hits on the area, thanks. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
simonov
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by simonov »

I am a recent transplant to Reno from Orange County, CA. When I was in OC, I was active on the Eispiraten forum for the San Gabriel Mountains and beyond, and responsible for its branding (the stickers anyway). When I got to Reno, I missed having a resource for checking conditions and learning about new places to go, so I'm glad I found this. It's not Northern Sierra specific, but it should be a big help.

We are no closer in miles to the Eastside than we were before the move (Lone Pine is almost exactly the halfway point between Costa Mesa and Reno), but the Eastside is somehow far more accessible to us now because we no longer have to drive for two hours through Greater Los Angeles traffic just to get out into the desert (and back home!). The drive down US-395 south of Carson City is glorious throughout the year, so we expect to have more High Sierra adventures now.

We are also keen to explore the Northern Sierra and the Carson Range around Lake Tahoe. So far we have done an overnight in Desolation Wilderness and have tackled Mt Tallac and Mt Rose (the latter of which is visible from almost everywhere in Reno and Sparks, including from our front lawn).

I have been backpacking since I was a Boy Scout in the 1970s; was a USFS volunteer patrol ranger in the San Gorgonio Wilderness in 1989-90; a hike organizer for several years for the Orange County Hiking Club; and finally since 2010 led teens on monthly hikes in the Santa Monica, San Gabriel and San Bernardino Mountains. Since getting my first digital camera I got into the habit of photographing my hiking adventures and posting them on Flickr.

Then and now:

Image Image
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Simonov,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for the intro, looking forward to reading some of your TR's, and thanks for the Flickr links. :)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Flycaster5150
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Flycaster5150 »

Hello Everyone! I am new to this board after discovering it in searching for some information regarding a trip my son and I were taking up to Cottonwood Lakes and onto Mt. Langley. This board has provided me lots of good information, in particular our attempt at Mt. Langley. I will post some pictures in the reports section and look forward to seeing the great adventures others have had in the Sierras!

Steve
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Steve,

Welcome to HST! Looking forward to seeing that TR and pictures. :)

texbob
Topix Novice

Post by texbob »

Hi, I too am a lurker but have immensely enjoyed the information on this forum.

I am 55 years old and have not backpacked for over 20 years. I am proceeding through a mid life crisis thinking about all the things I have not done, and at the top of the list is the desire to re-introduce myself to the outdoors. I live in about the flattest place in the world, Houston, which means I dash from A/C to A/C for 4 months out of the year. The only peaks on the skyline are the numerous water towers spread throughout the area.

While going to college in Reno many years ago, I bought a copy of "Sierra South", and I still have the tattered copy in my possession. There is a dog-eared page on the Rae Lakes Loop which I have dreamed about for many years. So, I plan to make my comeback to backpacking by walking that route in about 6 weeks. I have become totally obsessed in the planning, preparation, and gathering new gear as well as trying to determine if the South Fork Kings River will be ok for a crossing around Sept 15. I will be sure to post a trip report here once complete.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Welcom to HST Texbob! Look forward to your re-introduction TR.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
jeremiahkim
Topix Regular

Post by jeremiahkim »

texbob,

Excited for you to get an opportunity to complete the loop. There have been some very helpful developments about the trail conditions in recent trail reports and from SEKI. Looking forward to your write up.
mckee80
Topix Acquainted

Post by mckee80 »

Hi, I plead guilty to felony lurking. I started backpacking about a year ago, after visiting Yosemite (if it feels like this *here*, even with all the people here, I can only imagine what it feels like out *there*, off the beaten path). I've done around a half dozen trips locally (PA, WV), always having an eye towards going west. I'm learning a lot about what I need and what I don't and I've figured out that one of my favorite things in the world is swimming in remote and cold rivers/creeks/lakes. I also want to thank all of those who have contributed to this site. It has fueled my daydreams for the last year.

Sean