Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by maverick »

Hi Dominic,

Thank you for taking the time to write up an intro! :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Holokuahiwi
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Holokuahiwi »

I guess if I'm going to keep utilizing the site to plan trips, I may as well introduce myself.

My name is Niles and I live all over the country, so it's usually a long way to get to the Sierra. But I try to make it there at least once a year. I did my first Sierra trip in 2011 and have been every year since. Moving back to San Diego in 2017, so hopefully I'll get a bit more time in the Sierra.

One of my favorite Sierra memories was watching a sunset over Siberian Outpost on my first trip. Turned into a giant fireball in the sky. Quite the experience.

I love doing photography in the Sierra and fishing when it isn't my own gear.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Welcome, Niles ! Like you, it's difficult for me to get to the Sierra, so I live by trip reports on this site.
Holokuahiwi
Topix Novice

Post by Holokuahiwi »

Thanks Other Tom. Luckily I got to hit up the Kern River area earlier this season for a weekend and will be back for a 5 day trip in September. Twice in the same year - it's quite the miracle.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Holokuahiwi,

Welcome to HST! Are you Hawaiian? Like your screen name "run-mountain". :thumbsup:

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Holokuahiwi
Topix Novice

Post by Holokuahiwi »

Hi Maverick,

Glad you like the name. We were living in Hawaii last year when I registered for the forums and I was doing a lot of hiking on Oahu. I asked my daughter's teacher (a sweet, older Hawaiian lady) what the Hawaiian word for hiking or strolling through the mountains is. She had to consult with some other family members that are more scholars of the language than she. She told me that there is no Hawaiian word for 'hiking' or anything similar. The idea of walking through the mountains for pleasure is a foreign concept to the Hawaiian language. But they managed to piece together 'Holokuahiwi' which essentially means 'run-mountain'. A 'holoholo' is a walk or stroll for pleasure - so I think that's where they came up with it.

But, we don't live in Hawaii anymore. On to Maine and then back to San Diego in 2017.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the background info. :thumbsup:

Dragonfly
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Dragonfly »

Hola!

I work for the Parks with the oversized trees. Love my job, but I dream of spending more non-work-related time in the backcountry someday. I really enjoy the pictures, stories and discussions of people who know the Sierras better than I ever will. The depth and breadth of experience that folks bring to these pages is invaluable.

Cheers!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Kibby,

Welcome to HST! Any friend of GD, is a friend of ours! Thanks again for that earlier post. :nod:

Dragonfly
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Dragonfly »

(Belatedly) Thanks, Maverick!

GD is an amazing dude. We miss him greatly around here!