Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
seniorstinky
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by seniorstinky »

Hey guys! Just discovered this awesome community and decided to hop on!

I am twenty one and I reside in the Central Valley of California (not the best of places), but whenever I get the chance I am always getting up to the Sierra Nevada. I got hooked onto hiking/backpacking/nature as a youngin' in the Boy Scouts of America and I eventually made it all the way to achieve my Eagle Scout rank. Ever since then I've been making exucses to get up to the mountains! I also take my camera along with me as well as plenty of film to capture the grandeur and beauty of the mountains I call home.

I actually have a backpacking trip planned up to Kaiser Wilderness this coming Tuesday through Friday! Will keep you guys updated on conditions and how it went!

Stay frosty.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Seniorstinky,

Welcome to HST! Looking forward to your upcoming TR of the KW area.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Npike
Topix Acquainted

Post by Npike »

Hey everyone,

First id like to say thank you for all of the awesome advice i have learned by looking at these boards and being a "lurker" haha! This Community is really helpful and welcoming! :)

My name is Nick, I'm 35, and I've just recently started to backpack and take overnight trips. I only went on 3 trips last year, but plan on more this year. Any weekend that is not spent surfing, I will be making the drive up the 395 from Orange County to enjoy what the Sierra Nevada has to offer. I have only begun to explore and learn about different trails, trailheads and areas to roam. While most of my trips will be solo & 1-2 nights, the one multi-day trip I have planned is to do the Rae Lakes loop in August or September. I feel that would be a good trip to do solo and will give me some great scenery, photo ops, while not being incredibly strenuous.

Looking forward to contributing and doing trip reports!
LNT
Topix Newbie

Post by LNT »

LNT may well stand for Lost Novice Trainee. I'm still trying to figure out all the abbreviations and getting comfortable navigating site. Still in the process of collecting data and might not be of sufficient experience to post any thing meaningful. I'm very slow on the keyboard and find that I'm usually timed out other places. For instance I just tried to drop a crybaby smilies here from the menu at right but failed! That said I have gained valuable info and insight here and plan to issue some TRs this coming season. I have permits for Yosemite in June and July and form Mammoth to Yosemite in August. I'll be in Emigrant this season also but haven't picked the dates. I'll be posting pics ( when I learn how ) and will be doing my best to monitor mosquito levels and will try to be especially observant of water levels. That was my planned meager effort to contribute something here.

My main interest is backpacking and photography with a lean toward alpine settings and lakes. When my son/daughter/friends come along we plan to throw in some fishing. I/we take our time and are not going to set any speed records. Class 2 stuff for now, off trail trail OK.

W.C. Fields was credited with saying: "I would never be a member of any club that would have me". But should've added: "I would be rejected by the groups that most interest me".

wow- not timed out yet!
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Welcome, LNT!

I'm glad you weren't timed out. That means we're doing something right. However, the issues with the smilies to the right of your screen is likely our issue, not yours. We recently went through a website redesign and are still working through some lingering issues - that being one of them.

Cheers,
ERIC
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Nick,

Welcome to HST! Looking forward to reading your Rae Lakes TR.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Andrew-Brownstone
Topix Newbie

Post by Andrew-Brownstone »

Hey there. I am super excited to find this HST forum. What a fantastic collection of folks sharing great info in a friendly and intelligent fashion.

My 15 yr old son and I are planning a 16 night BP trip from Courtright Reservoir (Maxson Trailhead) to the end of of the road (180) in Kings Canyon NP. About 110 miles (so ~7 miles/day) almost a third of which would be cross-country (some of which will be day hikes/peak climbs without packs). Plan to fish some. Great to get a reality check from folks with more experience doing such a trip.

Experience: I've done lots of 3-5 night BP trips with my brother and sister in the Sierras almost (every summer for over 20+ years). We typically start from Thomas Edison, Florence, Courtright or Wishon. We almost always do some cross-country. This extended trip will be a new experience and mostly new territory that I've long to see my whole life.

**VERY EAGER TO GET INFO REGARDING FOUR THINGS:
1) backpacking down Gardiner Creek to Woods Creek trail (heard it can be sketchy, but if safe, it would be ideal for our trip). Advice?
2) food re-supply near Mather Pass (5 miles south or north) ??? - I've never scheduled a re-supply before. Advice?
3) transportation options for getting back to Prather ranger station (guessing I can keep my truck there for 2 weeks? - will check)
4) most reliable fishing lakes on our route. Hoping to offset 3-4 nights of dinner with fish, but we are not very experienced fishermen. ;-) foolish?

Based on lack of snow this year, I'm guessing we'll have no mozzies, no problem crossing streams, warm lakes for swimming and ... challenge finding drinking water? doubt it.

Look forward to getting feedback. --Andrew

Check out our DRAFT route map on MapMyHike: 119mi ALB Epic BP trip 2015 rev5
Distance: 119.13 mi
http://www.mapmyhike.com/routes/view/668270560
http://www.mapmyhike.com/routes/view/668270560
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to HST! Please start a seperate thread to ask about backpacking related questions.

edhyatt
Topix Regular

UK lurker

Post by edhyatt »

Morning (well it is here)

I've not been hiding in the shadows that long here....

Great board - interesting information; I'm here to gain insight into a SHR attempt this summer. I did the JMT a few years ago and the Colorado Trail in 2013 - trip report for the latter is here:

http://www.trek-lite.com/index.php?thre ... trail.399/

I've also done a fair bit of hiking in the European Alps and Scotland, and cycling all over the world; some of that can be seen here:

http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modul ... hor_id=592

Most of the terrain I encounter is nothing like the Sierra.

ed
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Ed,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for the intro TR's! :thumbsup: