Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gashgabbit
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

Post by gashgabbit »

Hello.

I have been creeping the HST forums for about a year. Wish I had known about HST when I first moved to California from Canada a few years ago. The map, info on cross country passes, and trip reports have been especially valuable resources.

Thank-you kindly.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

gashgabbit wrote:Hello.

I have been creeping the HST forums for about a year. Wish I had known about HST when I first moved to California from Canada a few years ago. The map, info on cross country passes, and trip reports have been especially valuable resources.

Thank-you kindly.
Welcome back from the Cold White North, and to HST! If you have TR's you did either in the Sierra or Canada, please post!
Canadian reports can go in the "Beyond the Sierra" area.

Welcome,

Russ
gashgabbit
Topix Novice

Post by gashgabbit »

Thanks, Russ.

Unfortunately I have no TRs to share - in the past I have not had cause to write them. I will be going from North Lake to the Whitney Portal in mid-August and will post a TR shortly thereafter.
davepctjmt
Topix Novice

Post by davepctjmt »

Hi
I've been a lurker for a while, there's lots of great info on here, thanks for running such a helpful forum. I hike in the Sierra a couple of times a year, ever since encountering the area on a PCT thru hike about a decade ago. I used to climb, and am pretty comfortable in all terrains and conditions. Now I've got kids, I'm starting to introduce them to the area and they love it.
Cheers
Dave
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Dave,

Welcome to HST! :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
notis
Topix Regular

Post by notis »

Hi everybody, I'm Nick. Forgive me Father for I have been occasionally lurking for a few months now! I've learned a great deal on BPL about UL backpacking, and I can't thank that site and those folks enough. The Sierras are our favorite place in the world--I recently starting to delve into what this site has to offer, and am so excited that everyone here thinks of the Sierras in the way that I do :)

My girlfriend, Frances, is from South Dakota. We met in Boston and moved out to San Diego for the weather and access to the hiking in the West. We've do most of our backpacking in SoCal and the Sierras, but have been around quite a few places in the US and have our sights set on many more! Considering a move to Denver next...but need to hike the JMT, Tahoe Rim Trail, and a couple others while we still have easy access! The lineup for the rest of the summer includes: Rae Lakes loop, N-S Lake loop, Minarets loop, and another 4-day Sierras loop TBD.

Fun facts: we LOVE craft beer, and trade frequently. Dreams of opening up a not-for-profit brewery of sorts some day... :drinkers: I speak Swahili. We love community health work. Cheers all!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Nick,

Welcome to HST! Looking forward to read your TR's. :)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
danielchilla
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by danielchilla »

Hi there, my name is Daniel and I must admit I have been lurking these forums for the past several months as well.

I'm a SoCal native and along with my girlfriend & we are getting into backpacking after years of conventional car camping and just want to thank everybody for all of the useful information provided here. We are planning our first backcountry loop, the second week of September, in the Minaret/1000 Island Lake Area. HST really is a great medium to encourage folks to get outside, I'm excited to be spending more and more time in the Sierra thanks to this website.

Thanks again, see you guys on the trails!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hola Daniel,

Welcome to HST! :)

Robmannn
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Robmannn »

Hi All,
Rob here and man I’m really hooked on the High Sierras and now HST. I stumbled across it while surfing, looking for a trip that struck my fancy. I’ve been forwarding the link to my Sierra hiking friends.

Too bad I live in Phoenix and can’t get away more often to do some shorter trips. It takes us about 12 hrs to get to the west side and 9 hrs. to the east side.
If you’re going to backpack in AZ. Check out HikeAZ. With its large store of trip reports and a very active community of backpackers and hikers.

I’m 65 and still work in construction as an electrical contractor and do the work myself since the downturn.

I started getting back into backpacking when my boys got into Scouting 12 years ago. I’ve done countless 2-3 day BP trips in AZ. with Scouts, one in Yellowstone and 2 10 day treks at Philmont Scout Ranch. Every year my backpack gets lighter.

The year after car camping with some Scouts through Sequoia, Yosemite and the coast I returned with 2 friends and attempted the Deadmans Canyon loop. One of the guys got altitude sick after Twin Lakes so we went left into Jenny Lakes Wilderness, Jo Pass and back to Lodgepole. It was still a great trip in the woods and a good time with friends. We returned the next year with family and friends and completed that loop (OK, I confess, we took the bus to Lodgepole from Crescent Meadow).That hooked me on the high country. I helped plan Five Lakes loop, but could not go and ditto for 2015. However, 5 of us Zonies are heading out from the east side somewhere for 9 or 10 days in late September. I’ll post some trip questions elsewhere.

I’m so ready. Base pack is 15-20 lbs. and I lost 30 lbs. of subcutaneous since the last trip.

The TR’s and advice at HST are a gold mine. Really, thanks to all of you that contribute to this site. I’ve been reading voraciously here and it’s obvious that you folks have found your calling.

Rob