Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Bash
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

Post by Bash »

I signed up a few weeks ago.
My first backpacking trip was when I was 13. I’m 53 now.
We started from Rock Creek rd. I believe the area is called Mosquito flats...? We backpacked to fourth recess lake, going over Momo Pass. No one from the adults took any fishing poles, so I was able to find a long stick, fishing line someone had discarded, and even found a hook. I was able to catch dinner. It was an awesome experience.
I love backpacking, but at the same time, if and when I do go, the destination must be a lake with trout.
In the last 10 yrs, I have hiked to lakes where I caught 18 inch Golden’s! One of my backpacking highlights.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Bash,

Welcome to HST! :)
Older TR's are welcome. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
chiclizv13
Topix Newbie

Post by chiclizv13 »

A lurker no more. I'm Liz and live in the Owens Valley, and mid-30s. I did a NOBO JMT in 2019, and between COVID and the fires a number of 3-4 night trips this past summer. Typically, I can be found between Horseshoe Meadows and Donahue Pass (infrequently, so far, I've headed further North). Slowly working my way to off-trail travel with an end goal of completing the SHR, SoSHR, KCHBR, YHR (most likely as sections strung together over multiple seasons). I'll try to remember to post reports in the future, but I'm chronically behind in processing photos and stitching together my time lapses, so we'll see.
Shameless plug to my YouTube Channel:
Last but not least, I found you guys via the Google and various Facebook groups.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Liz,

Welcome to HST!
Thanks for the intro and video Liz. :)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
kirstinrode
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by kirstinrode »

Hello! Glad to find this forum! I am a volleyball player and more recently in the last 20 yrs avid hiker. From Florida originally but now live in San Diego and have done a lot of the trendy bucket list adventures like Mount Whitney, Half Dome, Kalalau, Mt. Batur, Big Pine Lakes, Santa Rosa. I feel more at home outside and appreciate and respect Mother Nature :-) still learning and getting off the beaten path but research like a mad woman before I do anything. Always appreciate others beta and I’m happy to share my experience and knowledge as well.
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by austex »

Hi Kirstin,
Welcome aboard the board. Lots of good info as well as people here; glad you decided to not lurk much longer. We all learn from everyone's willingness to share. Not as much drama here as in some other places!
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hey Kirstin,
Welcome to HST. Have you ever combined your sport with backpacking trips? It's not that hard. On geology field trips our prof. would take along a simple rope and a vball. String rope between rocks or trees, scratch out the lines, and there you are. It's pretty nice and sandy just below the summit of Mt. Langley-- volleyball at 14,000' anyone? Best of luck, Ian and Lizzie.

*Saya pergi ke Gunung Batur... errr? 'also'
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
oneKthings
Topix Newbie

Post by oneKthings »

Hello! Loooonnnnggg overdue introduction. I'm an east coaster, now in my 50's who first started backpacking in the Appalachian Mtns when I was around ten. That first backpacking trip, a 5-day 40 mile trip starting at Fontana Dam saw it pour down rain every day. Everything I carried was wet. My Sears "Special" pack had no hip belt, my boots gave me awful blisters. I was on the verge of tears every day. But I was SO proud of finishing that trip - and I've been hooked ever since :-) Similarly hooked on the Sierras since my first backpacking trip out west about a decade ago; I just feel a real connection with this part of the country like no other place I've traveled.

I first found HST three or four years ago (via google search) while researching a Red Peak Pass loop and have been so grateful for the reports, perspective, conditions updates, etc. I plan on posting a TR from my last trip (in 2019 - 2020 was a stay back east year) shortly after I hit "submit" to at least start to add to the database and be a more active member!

Randall
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Randall,

Welcome to HST!
Looking forward to reading your TR. :nod:

oneKthings
Topix Newbie

Post by oneKthings »

by "shortly" I meant a week :-D

TR posted! Finally - only took 1.5 years....