Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sky00high
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by sky00high »

The name is Terry and I am new to backpacking. I am going to a university in Canada and came to California for an internship. Now my internship is about to end so I am eager to get some backpacking trip happening. I would hate to miss the great Sierra mountains and not spend one night in it before my departure. I have gotten some very useful information in this forum and I hope one day I can contribute to it.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the intro Terry. Really hope you get a taste of the Sierra before you leave, but do understand, it takes one
good trip and you will be hooked for life.
We have a "Beyond The Sierra Nevada" section at the bottom of the main page, we would really enjoy to read about
your adventures in Canada, past or future. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ianrb
Topix Novice

Post by ianrb »

Hey Guys,

Just joined this board as I am looking to start heading out into the sierra and explore the mountains. I started backpacking last year and was instantly addicted and have been planning 1-2 trips each month since then. Hoping to meet some people and gain some knowledge through this board! Looking to head out on my first Sierra trip this weekend, but the weather heading in is making me a bit nervous. I'll keep my eyes on the weather and hopefully be able to post a trip report soon.

-Ian
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Ian,

Welcome aboard HST! Looking forward to reading about your new adventures into the Sierra!

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
MN2CAPisco
Topix Acquainted

Post by MN2CAPisco »

Hello all,

I've been frequenting these forums a bit more of late and thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Roger, I'm a Midwestern transplant that moved to Bakersfield almost 2 years ago. I was seeking someplace to live where I could weekend in the mountains rather than taking my precious vacation time and hard earned money flying across the country in search off a temporary backpacking paradise. I ventured out on the High Sierra Trail after my interview here and was instantly sold. Since then I've had perhaps two dozen trips to the High Sierra, logging many miles both on and off trail, including a JMT through hike in 2013 and several summits including a winter mountaineering route on Whitney earlier this year.

I've greatly appreciated all the information contained on this forum and am hoping to contribute as I can. Perhaps nothing novel considering the breadth of experience here, but if nothing else maybe I can assist with trip and conditions reports.

I also have been honing my skills as an amateur panoramic photographer, positing 360x180 spherical panoramas on 360cities.net. Those of you who can spend hours perusing Google Earth like myself can see many of them sprinkled through the High Sierra, just turn on the "360cities" label on the Gallery layer, and look for little red circles with "360" marked on them. Alternatively, my profile is linked below.

http://www.360cities.net/profile/bartlett_roger
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Neat pano's Roger, the Iceberg Lake one is really cool, thanks for posting the link. :)

robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

I guess I never introduced myself, even though I have posted on here before. My name's Rob and I started backpacking in the 70's while a Boy Scout in Southern California. Ate plenty of Drilite meals back then, including the orange eggs. Stayed local doing many trips in the San Gabriels. Then in the 80's I became a Scout leader and had many adventures with the boys, again staying local. But one of the leaders kept telling us about this trip he did to the Sierra, to Jennie Lakes and my interest was piqued. In the late 80's we did the Northern Silver Moccasin trail, from Lodgepole to Road's end. Man were the mosquitoes terrible! Then a move and family and other distractions kept me away from the mountains. But last year I got involved again with the Boy Scouts and talked a bunch of total newbie kids to go backpacking. And they loved it! But my wife got jealous that I was the only one getting out, so we got her some equipment and started to go out on some overnighters together. And then I saw an article about a hike in Yosemite that they called the Clark Range Traverse. So we planned and trained and did it last August. It was tough, but wonderful! As we were driving home, we both were wondering what we were going to do next. So this August we are doing the Rae Lakes loop.

I really enjoy this forum and the vast amount of knowledge and experience of the members here. I especially enjoy the trip reports and vicariously get my Sierra fix through them!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Robow8 for the intro. Its great to hear our new members background intro stories, many of us have similar experiences
and can totally relate. :nod:

mwags
Topix Newbie

Post by mwags »

Name is Mike (28) , just moved to CA from eastern PA close to Philadelphia. Just started serious backpacking about 2 years ago and love it. Normally, I bring my 2 year old Labrador Retriever Kona on my trips. She loves its just as much as I do. Planning a trip to Inyo National Forest in early June and stumbled upon the site. What a wealth of knowledge you can gain here. Looking to get into the Hilton Creek Lakes #3 or #4 the first weekend of June. Hopefully the snow and weather cooperate. Thanks in advance for all the information and knowledge, and I hope I can provide some as well!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Mike,

Welcome to HST! Where did you do most of you backpacking while in PA? TR's from places beyond the Sierra are welcome
in the "Beyond The Sierra Nevada" section at the bottom of the main page. Looking forward to reading you TR with pictures
of Hilton Lakes and of Kona. :)