Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
CentralCalBrewer
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by CentralCalBrewer »

Hello!

I'm Aaron (CentralCalBrewer - because I brew ;-) )... I'm very new to backpacking having only gone on 1 multi-night trip so far (about to go on my 2nd in a few days) but do a lot of day hiking as well.

Love forums and info! So this is great.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Aaron,

Welcome to HST!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Stanley Otter
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Stanley Otter »

Hello. I am relatively new to hiking, having spent the last couple decades canoe camping in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area and Quetico Provincial Park. I took a hiking friend with a bucket list that included the Quetico on a trip a few years ago and in return he took me along on the Teton Crest Trail the next year. Since then I have done on trail backpacking in Glacier NP, Grand Canyon NP, Bryce Canyon NP, Zion NP, and, closer to home, Isle Royale NP. My wife and I recently spent a week in the Wind River Range and did our first bit of off trail hiking over Knapsack Col and to Wall Lake (Nancy/Wandering Daisy’s book was quite helful in prepping for that). We discovered that I enjoy the challenges of off-trail travel and my wife does not. :confused: I am hoping to do a bit more of that in coming seasons and improve my route finding and not-so-scary-class-3 skills. I really appreciate the information in these forums -- it is invaluable. Thanks.
Dennis
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Dennis,

Welcome to HST! Looking forward to reading about your new Sierra adventures! Just so you know, we have a section at the bottom of the main forum page, for areas outside of the Sierra's, so anytime you feel like sharing your trips to Glacier, GC, or any of the Utah Parks, please fee to do so. ;)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
dafishefishhead5
Topix Newbie

Post by dafishefishhead5 »

Hi, I just found out about HST from a discussion with some other hikers/backcountry fishermen atop Kearsarge Pass the other day. Thought I would register. I've been backpacking the Sierra's since 1984 and camping there since I can't remember. Try to go somewhere along a trail and fish for wild trout every September. (Early season mosquitos bite!) Hope to gain some insight here, always looking for something new. Thanks, TB.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi TB,

Welcome to HST! Looking forward to some TR's, present and past, both are appreciated here. :nod:

dooder
Topix Novice

Post by dooder »

My name is the dooder aka Jayson. Im from southern california inland empire region. I found HST by searching out spots in the back country of the sierras. I was lucky enough to discover Bishop while working in the area. I first fished the owens valley river after work , then drove up to North lake a few times on my own to fish. That's when I knew I had to see more. So I started researching the back country. I've always been into hiking , camping, bouldering and occasional catch and release fishing. Big bear and San jacinto are the local big mountains out here, which I visit when possible. Anything outdoors and scenic is good with me.
Last edited by dooder on Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Welcome aboard, dooder. Please take a look here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205 and add that info to your question about your North Lake trip.

Russ
dooder
Topix Novice

Post by dooder »

I added the info on my question, thanks .
Lazeydazey
Topix Novice

Post by Lazeydazey »

Hi ya' all.
My adventure buddy told me about HST. I'm a Sierra info-maniac and love to stay up into the wee hours of the night running searches on HST for spooky hazards like Survival Stories and BigFoot.

I'm just re-entering the backpacking world after 25 years away, to REI's great pleasure. I gravitate to the baby trails. Easy elevation gains, shorter mileage, and lake strewn scenery. I don't fish, or bag peaks, but i love to grip myself out by dunking in all the ice cold lakes I can muster the courage to jump into. (You may have heard my gasping breath screams) Or you may have met me on the trail. I'm the one accepting the toll: snickers, skittles, trailmix, I accept all types of currency. Now that you know, I'm expecting bigger and better payments from each of you.

I have Sierra relief maps on my walls and stare and stare, i love to come at the sierra from multiple angles and piece it together. To look east from above Florence + Edison and then hike Morgan Canyon or Paiute Pass and look West and understand what I am seeing and how the canyons, valleys, mtns, and trails connect - to know what that land looks like in person and how it feels. My goals are to see some dazzling stars (It's been a pretty wet year) some alpenglow sunsets (also blocked by clouds) and to look west, down upon the Kern River Valley and Kings Canyon, from the Eastern Sierra. (My preferred side)

And to those of you making those sasquatch sounds in the middle of the night, you can stop now, I totally know it's you. :p