Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Rockchucker
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by Rockchucker »

Maybe liven things up a bit! I'm newish here but already post way too much.
I'm no suture for my future.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Rockchucker wrote:
I'm newish here but already post way too much.
Not that newish any more. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Hey Rock...
Not too bad for a flatlander...I'd hike with you.
Mountainman who swims with trout
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

I would too; but I'm afraid I couldn't keep up! BUT I could keep him laughing long enough to keep at my pace... :nod:
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

We thank you all, if you could only see me blushing! :partyman:
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

austex wrote:I would too; but I'm afraid I couldn't keep up! BUT I could keep him laughing long enough to keep at my pace... :nod:
Oh I'm not fast, just plug along at a good pace life's too short to race through it!
cefire
Topix Regular

Post by cefire »

This looks relevant, howdy all! My real name is Andrew. Just moved down to the East Bay from Montana - been peak bagging in the Tahoe basin, but looking forward to taking in some of the high Sierra this summer.

Have a great holiday season everyone :D
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Montana? wow. what a shift. My Uncle moves here from Great Falls, MT to beat the snow and cold to Wilton. welcome, cefire.
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted

Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by wanderin.jack »

Hi folks,
Don't know if I've introduced myself or not. 52 yo male living in the NorCal Central Valley. Almost always hike with my grand companion (wife). Try to hike +200 miles in the Sierra every summer. Did the JMT in 2009 but now try to stay way from it until after Labor Day. Have done some of the SHR and reaching deeper into off trail adventures. In the winter I hike a lot in the eastern coast range (see http://www.yolohiker.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanderin' Jack
Shhsgirl
Topix Regular

Post by Shhsgirl »

Hi, I'm shhsgirl, although the "girl" part is a lie, since I'm 62, with a 66 year old husband, four grown children and grandchildren. I've been backpacking since my teens, although kids and work have interrupted it somewhat. In 2012 I did the two southern sections of the HSR, and loved being off trail. Then I had a major posterior cervical fusion, and spent 2013 wondering if I'd ever get back. Coming along slowly, so planning only trail trips for 2014. Hubby was a total badass crazy climber in youth, who liked setting off for North Pal at 3:00 p.m., cowboy hat, old slick Pivetta boots, ragged orange rain parka his only equipment, summitting at 6:00 pm, descending in horrendous thunder, lightning, snow storm without flashlight. Used lightning flashes for illumination. It was either learn not to worry or divorce him, and I chose the former. Luckily, he's not physically capable of that anymore, although he still refuses to hike on trails, so I'll have to find girlfriends for my trips this summer. I've made every backpacking mistake in the book, and still have some to go. My major lesson was that if my feet are happy, so, pretty much, am I. Due to my weird duck-shaped feet (great for swimming!) I finally went with custom boots. Next major lesson: As I get older, I have to rely on brain, not brawn, but all my fellow geezers know that. Lightening up pack has been a major advance for me. Hoping to do HST as one of the trail trips this summer. Water might be an issue in my favorite season, fall.