Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sturdyoak2012
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

Post by sturdyoak2012 »

Hello everybody,

I'm a 14 year old Asian American boy and also a Boy scout! I'm from the Bay Area, and I use this website a lot for planning backpacking trips for my troop and for myself. I've only gone backpacking up in the Sierras without my troop a couple times, but I'm planning to get out there a lot more this summer!
Spivakian_Trekker
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Spivakian_Trekker »

Thanks for the welcome Maverick! Dan would pop in quite a bit during my first year there, but I was just a barrista so I dont know if he'd remember me. Rush Creek Lodge became the center of attention during my second year.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Sturdyoak2012,

Welcome to HST! Great to read that have been able to use all this treasure of information in planning you trips. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
elimvzq
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by elimvzq »

Hello, my name is Eli, I'm from Bakersfield, CA. I'm a 34 yo, environmental lab analyst.

Long time camper, I remember not being able to sleep when I was little out of excitement of upcoming camping trips, and to be honest it still kinda happens. Experienced in car camping, (been doing it all my life) and have been dabbling in overnight backpacking trips within the past year. Big Pine lakes, Deer lake in Mammoth area. Lots of practice car camping with our backpacking gear as well.

Recently married, my husband Nick (32, staff geologist) loves the outdoors just as much as I do. Win-win. We started out with what I would consider basic gear (osprey atmos 50 packs, thermarest camper pads, kelty tn2 tent, kelty bags, basic stove) Recently upgraded some of our gear to shave weight from our packs because we are planning on more, longer length trips starting this weekend. We are going on the HST for 4 days, 3 nights. Also planning on hiking the grand canyon for 4 days, 3 nights for Thanksgiving.

We enjoy being outdoors as much as possible, and have also been on a couple volunteer trips to Yosemite. I'm excited to read your trail reports and learn as much as I can from this site. Thanks!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Welcome to high sierra topics, Eli..

You are aware about the tons and tons of snow up there right now, right?
elimvzq
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by elimvzq »

Thanks! Yes I'm aware. We aren't going to try anything too challenging, this trip is just to get acquainted with our new gear and explore the area for us to come back another time. The original plan was middle fork trail but we figured it's way too hot to try that now.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Probably should spin this off to a new thread. What route? Are the roads open? What is your plan for snow?

http://www.visitsequoia.com/high-sierra-trail.aspx Assuming this HST, right?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Probably should spin this off to a new thread. What route? Are the roads open? What is your plan for snow?
Please do, but she wasn't asking for any info Russ.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ecat
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by ecat »

Hello to all! Steve here. Long time Sierra patron, dating back to the mid 60s, fishing, hiking and backpacking with the family. I've been enjoying the site from the sidelines for a while now, and figure it's about time to introduce myself. Nowadays I mostly flyfish, and have a rekindled desire to get further into the back country every year. Sort of a see it while I'm still able sort of motivation. Soon as I study up on the picture posting, I'll try to get a few trips from the last
few seasons posted, and look forward to contributing , going forward. I've learned a great deal here and am very grateful!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Steve,

Welcome to HST! Looking forward to the pictures. :)