Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

Post by maverick »

We have a lot of members who have joined over the years, gaining knowledge about backpacking, techniques, and a lot of beta on particular areas of interest, that may have helped them put together fun and successful trips. It would be great if lurkers would come out of the shadows and introduce themselves here, maybe write up a TR or two, or a mosquito update, or share some of the back-country wisdom gained over the years, and become a productive member in this community.

Also, please let us know how you found us. :)

When everyone contributes we all win! :)
Last edited by ERIC on Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:10 am, edited 12 times in total.
Reason: Changed text
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
DLeikam
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by DLeikam »

I'll bite (...like a hungry stunted brookie?). I'm just getting into hiking/backpacking but see it as the logical progression of my love of the outdoors. I don't get much "alone" time - we have a young family - 1, 3, and 7 years old at home. The 7 year old has a decent cast on my fly rod and she is asking for my rod so much these days that it's probably time to get her own. Last year I was able to get up in the Sierras 5 times, each time with my girls (7 and 3) - the 3 year old was half backpacked around, half hiked around. I'm looking forward to introducing them to more locations this summer, but first I'm getting out of the house for about two days and going on my own first hike in and camp adventure, solo style. Very excited about it. I have gravitated to the 108/395 area but am really looking forward to eventually exploring further south. I have never been in the southern Sierras but just seeing them from the driving south on I5, something tells me there's magic up there. Thanks for the community, I can't imagine I can be a very valuable resource but will post my first trip report sometime late June.
frisfraser
Topix Novice

Post by frisfraser »

Name is Fris. My first backpacking trip in the sierra was to Jackass Mdw near Kennedy Meadows with my mom. I was 14, hiking with what seemed like a 60 lb backpack, I have no idea what was in it, I remember carrying like 10lbs of fresh steak. My brother was carrying the cast-iron skillet and the axe. Took us all day to get 2 miles up the fire road to camp. That night, a herd of cows trampled our camp.

Looking back at that trip, we did everything wrong. My first solo: My brother and I first set off in the sierra by ourselves 3 years later. (we enjoyed camping, but being 15 and 17 y.o. it was illegal for us to camp by ourselves at car camps or camp grounds. Backpacking camping was a glitch in the system.) Our mom dropped us off at the lodge pole ranger station, and we obtained permits by ourselves to hike the High Sierra Trail, all the way to whitey and the portal. Great experience, life changing. Loved the way solitude and self-reliance made us feel.

Now, at 23, I am an experience backpacker. Since the days of the HST, I have done JMT, HSR, lived on Lake Tahoe, snow camped, hitch hiked around, and have had many sierra summers.

I enjoy reading what all you geezers have to say. ;) The trip reports are very helpful. The knowledge I've acquired from this community is expansive. I particularly find interest in the snippets of history in the sierra. Thanks for everything!
Mradford
Topix Regular

Post by Mradford »

frisfraser wrote:
I enjoy reading what all you geezers have to say. ;)

Classic! :lol:
BrandonL
Topix Newbie

Post by BrandonL »

Names Brandon,
Been backpacking for 3 years after the gf and I decided to give it a try on a whim. First trip was out to Illilouette valley under Starr King in Yosemite, been hooked ever since. Most of my trips are weekenders with 2 or 3 longer 3-5 nighters a year. Current goal is to set aside enough time so we can do the HST and JMT (HST next year, parts of JMT this year, hopefully the full JMT by 2015).

Just got back from a trip in ventana wilderness over the weekend (china camp to pine ridge camp and pine valley camp) photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1020784168 ... tdKY5sblUA#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Originally planned on going to yosemite but due to the cold weather front that moved in we opted for a warmer climate.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

DLeikam and Frisfraser, have already given you an official welcome, thanks for
intro and the kool background info, looking forward to reading to future TR's
and pictures of your adventurous.
BrandonL, welcome to HST! Thanks for the pretty photo's to Ventana, really
love the falls photo, haven't been back there in decades.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

[quote="frisfraser"]I enjoy reading what all you geezers have to say. ;) /quote]

Welcome aboard young whippersnapper! :)

from a 58 year old "seasoned" geezer.
atomicmonkey
Topix Newbie

Post by atomicmonkey »

I'm atomicmonkey,
In the mid 80's while I was a ski bum in Colorado, I hiked many summers in Rocky Mountain NP, Yellowstone and the Tetons. In early 90's I moved to California and did a hike with some friends in Yosemite. TM to YV. It was the most amazing hike that I had ever done. Two years ago, I did that same hike with my eight year old son. It was just as epic and he is hooked for life! Last year, we did the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne from WW to TM. Another epic granite trip. We are leaving in two weeks for a long weekend at Ten Lakes and another trip from TM to YV in July for a week. we are counting the seconds! I am also in the planning stage for a trip up Cherry Creek next summer. I do want to say thank you to all of the regular posters here that have helped me so much in all the great things you post here, what a cool group of people!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Atomicmonkey,

Welcome to HST! Yes, TM to YV is a classic, especially Clouds Rest, Matthes Crest
and Cathedral Lakes area, and the whole Tuolumne River from TM to Pate is
a lot of fun to. Looking forward to the hearing about your Ten Lakes trip. :thumbsup:

GreenhornBackpacker
Topix Novice

Post by GreenhornBackpacker »

I've been reading this website for about a year now. I haven't been on a true backpacking trip in over 20 years. Back then I went to Pear Lake in SEKI and was scared to death going over the Watchtower route, ha, but I'm getting back into it this summer. (No trails with terrifying dropoffs). Since then, I've gone to Yosemite, almost yearly, and other places to day hike. I then 'graduated' to doing the High Sierra Camps in Yosemite, which I recognize is just day hiking with a little more stuff and a shower at the end of the day. So now I want to explore other areas and I'm getting ready to backpack again. I've got a permit for a portion of the JMT, with three friends. I bought a Big Agnes tent and a bear canister. I've still got the old backpack and sleeping bag. I got an Esbit stove (after reading about them here in the gear section). I've got the water purifier.

Now I need to do some overnight practice hikes. I'm just waiting for the snow up there to melt a bit more. I'm thinking maybe an overnight to Youngs Lake, or Lake Ediza. I'd also love to redo part of the High Sierra Loop, Tioga Road to Sunrise to Merced (a couple of nights there to go to Washburn) and see the Merced River Canyon again on my way to the Valley. Then take the hikers bus back up.

I should say that I'll be hiking alone; no one to go with on the practice hikes. I'm a 58 year young mom whose kids are away at college and unable to go with me. So I'm going to stick to the well traveled routes.