Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by maverick »

Hi Bandguy,

Welcome to HST! Thank you for your intro, and hope you will consider sharing your latest, or older adventures with us, in the form of a TR. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
justkeepexploring
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by justkeepexploring »

Hi everyone, my name is Jim and I just joined the forum today and wanted to introduce myself. I'm relatively new to hiking longer distances and am cutting my teeth in Desolation Wilderness. I've hiked 9 weekends in a row and feel like I'm getting hooked very quickly. Some of the highlights so far are Echo Lakes to Lake Aloha, Pyramid Peak via Rocky creek, Ralston Peak via Camp Sacramento, Glen Alpine to Mt. Tallac, and a day hiking at 11-12000 feet in Colorado with a buddy of mine. My main passion has been photography for the past few years and since I love landscape photography, hiking allows me to get to places I wouldn't have ever seen before. I found the forum because I'm interested in getting off trail a lot more to get away from the crowds and I ran across a really good thread on desolation wilderness that caught my interest. I'm also hoping to start backpacking soon and am trying to learn what I need to get started with that. I hope to contribute some trip reports, most of them so far are on my wordpress so maybe I can link to them.

Jim
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

HI Jim,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for the intro! Looking forward to seeing some of your photography, and reading some of your future TR's! :)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Notch
Topix Newbie

Post by Notch »

Hi - My name is Jeremy Notch and I've been hiking and working in the Sierra for 10 years now. After hiking the JMT in 2013 I've had the itch to do it again but it's hard to find the time. I enjoy backpacking into far out places in search of trout with a fly rod, and joined this site in hopes of learning more about the MF Kings and Tehipite Valley. The thought of catching big browns and rainbows in one of the most remote places in California is very alluring and I hope to tackle it this Sept. I'll report back with pictures and fishing stories.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

Jeremy, Welcome to HST. Thanks for the intro. Tight lines and hope to see your future TR's.
Rand
Topix Newbie

Post by Rand »

Hello, my name is Rand. I am new to backpacking in the Sierra. I lived in Santa Barbara and Lake Tahoe many years ago and would try to go camping whenever possible. I then moved to Iowa for a career in agriculture as a photographer. Now that phase of my life is over and I am looking forward to some hiking trips in the future. I learned about your site from a friend that has hiked the JMT and is encouraging me to join him on some future trips. I am hungry for information and this site appears to be a good resource.
Mfletcher
Topix Newbie

Post by Mfletcher »

Hi Everyone,

My name is Matt, I'm just getting into backpacking and found this forum. Looks like a great place to get some trail/gear advice. We just took a trip up Buckeye pass in Humbodt Wilderness with our dog, very beautiful and quiet. Dog friendly trail tips welcome, she loves hiking, and we hate to leave her home. Looking forward to reading about, and sharing the mountain trails.
Bard
Topix Newbie

Post by Bard »

Hello All,

Name is Bard, and I live in the foothills of the Sierra's in Reno. Have been hiking and mountain biking in the Lake Tahoe area for a decade or so. Wanting to explore more of what these mountains have to offer. I have done a few weekend backpack trips of short distance (~10 miles), and quickly realized I had camping gear and not backpacking gear. Working on some better gear there right now. My partner in crime is my German Shorthair Pointer mix, who has more energy than I ever will. Looking to find some new places to go and people to meet, and figure out this overcomplicated permit process!

Bard
Mt. Goat
Topix Newbie

Post by Mt. Goat »

Hi, I'm Jack from San Diego North County. A climbing friend of mine told me about this site and that it has a wealth of information. I will do the Rae Lakes Loop starting 8-23-15 and am looking for any advice on campsites and good fishing locations on this route.
Last year I completed my final section of the JMT and am looking forward to taking my time this year and relaxing, fishing and maybe doing a side trip from the Rae Lakes area. Doing the JMT I was always concerned with how many miles I could do a day like I had an appointment at the next camp I had find..and although I loved the experience I want to change that way of thinking and relax. Any comments or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.....
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Rand, Matt, Bard, and Jack,

Welcome all to HST! :)