Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by maverick »

Hi Eric,

Welcome to HST! Thank you for the intro. Are all those trip that you are planning going to be solo or with you wife? If with her, it's really cool that you guys can experience the beauty of the Sierra together.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Asolthane
Topix Regular

Post by Asolthane »

Hi,

Some photos -
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP ... 1ITlh3RU5B
https://goo.gl/photos/jqcQTp33HwyMqmW2A
https://goo.gl/photos/hMZq7Kc8t1WZDzog9
https://goo.gl/photos/sjhRAW4euuUwttPC9

Hi, 34 year old guy from San Francisco. I grew up backpacking with my dad in Arizona, and then forgot about it/didn't have a car in my 20's. But I have been more and more into it over the past few years, and now have 3 day weekends every weekend so am hoping to get into the Sierras as much as possible.

I fish Tenkara, and like high basins with lots of small lakes to fish and swim in.

I want to do a month long trip next year, some combination of the JMT and SHR. I am hoping to get help over the next year planning that.

Places I have been in Sierras (I have loved all these trips)
- Lost/Sword Lake in Carson Iceburg Wilderness
- Kaiser Wilderness Loop past George Lake to small lakes above (campfire, college, jewel)
- North lake Loop: Lamark Col - Darwin Bench - McLure Meadows, Piute Canyuon - French Canyon Humphries Basin
- Loop to Madera Lake, Lillian and Chittendon Lakes East of Madera Peak
- Loop from Twin Lakes - Peeler Lake - Benson Lake - Matterhorn Creek, out Horse Canyon
- Gem Lake - Waugh Lake - Thousand Island Lake Loop
- Bear Lakes Basin loop in through granite park and out through French Canyon and Pine Creek Pass
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Robin,

Thank you for taking the time to write up this intro, and including the photo links. Lots of new members coming on board from the Bay Area. :)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
dhan
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by dhan »

Hi my name is DH Han and live in Saint Louis. Me and my wife started backpacking ~ 4 years ago. we hiked JMT(break it 4 sections), Sierra high camp trail, day hike aroud Yosemite valley and part of Colorado trail.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thank you for taking the time to write up the intro DH Han!

ppro
Topix Newbie

Post by ppro »

Intro:

I've been car camping and fly fishing for years. Now that my daughters are old enough to give me some free time, I've started venturing into backpacking. A friend of mine at work was looking for someone to join him. My first venture was with over 60 lbs on my back. Needless to say I learned how to make better decisions when packing and I learned how to spend a friggin fortune on titanium and various light weight items. I'm at just below 30 lbs now including fly gear and depending on the amount of food (and if I have to carry that stupid bear vault).

My destinations are 90% of the time focused on places I can fly fish. But as I go on more trips, I'm finding I enjoy backpacking even if the destination doesn't have that as a focus. In the last year I've been rained on, drained of what seems like 50% of my blood by mosquitoes and caught in a snow storm. All good times.

This summer (2015) has the Lost Coast Trail planned and a few Emigrant Wilderness trips.

-Patrick
Danville, CA
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Patrick,

Welcome to HST! Looking forward to reading about your LC and Emigrant trips. :)

Dozer
Topix Novice

Post by Dozer »

Hello, as a newbie, I just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself and adhere to the sites protocol. Sorry for not seeing this to begin with. Also, it wasn't clear to me where to post this info. So, hope I hit the right spot. Correct me if I didn't. Thanks for the direction and for the info that your site provides. All the best ~ Dozer

What level of backpacking experience do you have? Level 3 for both Sherry and I. We have both thru hiked the Long Trail and hike regularly in the northeast. Most often on trails with an occasional bush-whacking trip when we're feeling adventurous. We hike in all 4 seasons in VT.
Level 1- Minimal hiking
Level 2- Some backpacking trips, using trails
Level 3- Numerous backpacking trips, some x-country travel
Level 4- Comfortable with trail and/or x-country travel

What terrain are you comfortable/uncomfortable with? Well, as we hike extensively in the northeast, the terrain vary's from mud to mountains. This is our first trip to the Sierra Nevada Mt's so a new experience for us. I like to err on the side of caution, so class 2.
- Class 1 terrain/trail hiking
- Class 2 terrain/pass/x-country
- Class 3 terrain/pass/x-country
- River crossings
- Snow travel/Glacier crossings

What is your main interest? We want to experience the splendor of the Sierra Nevada Mt's. The HST gives us some variety of the items listed below. Finishing on Mt. Whitney will be Epic for us.
- Lakes
- Forests
- Big Mountain scenery
- Photography
- Fishing
- Climbing

How many days/nights is your trip, not including travel to trailhead? We will be hiking around the Lodgepole area for a couple of days and start the HST on 8/24. Our shuttle ride picks us up in Whitney Portal on the morning of 8/31.

How many miles did you want to do a day, any layovers? we generally are comfortable with 10-14 mile days in the northeast.

Do you have a route logistics preference: loop, out and back, point to point (which
may require 2 vehicles or hitchhiking)? just hiking the HST with a possible extended loop along the Kern river to the Lake South America Trail, back to the JMT, and then through Crabtree Meadow to Mt. Whitney.

Is there a particular area in the Sierra that your most interested in(Yosemite, SEKI
western sierra start or eastern start ect.)? see above

Will you be hiking with a dog? we like dogs, but do not hike with one.

Please take the time to use the "search function" before requesting information
there are many different subjects, and area's that have all ready have been covered
before.

Also, please start your own threads instead of piggybacking on an existing thread.
This will avoid any unnecessary confusion that may happen if the OP thinks that
other members are posting suggestions to there original question, but are really
posting answers to the piggy-backers question.
This is especially important to keep in mind when it comes to trip requests, but
should be really avoided in all cases.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Dozer,

Thanks for the intro. This info should have been added to your post about the HST, it allows us to get a feel of your experience and then recommend areas/routes accordingly.

Dozer
Topix Novice

Post by Dozer »

Hah! I'm starting to catch on! I'm a quick study, so in a few months I should have this ;-p