Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the formal intro Flamingo and looking forward to seeing you again at the Meet-up. :)

PS Thanks for the CDT link. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Haha! Yes! Good stuff.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
nmonnereau
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by nmonnereau »

Hello!
Planning an 8 day JMT hike starting off at Taboose Pass and ending at Whitney Portal. Started "lurking" to see what intel I could gain :)
Mainly concerned about shuttle or parking from one trailhead to the next. How much exertion to anticipate heading up Taboose Pass, and if night one at Bench Lake is too ambitious. And also, considering how much snowfall there has been, if microspikes are enough, or if we need to bring more than that (late June adventure).

Cheers!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Nmonnereau,

Welcome to HST!
Please post any questions about conditions or routes in a seperate thread. Thanks

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
bharmandvm
Topix Novice

Post by bharmandvm »

Interesting forum! Hi all. I am a 63 year old veteran of the Sierra but only recently restarted my backpacking. Have a vintage A-16 backpack from the 1960s but have recently upgraded most gear to lightweight. I am beginning training for a September 2 week on southern half of the JMT. I enjoy side trips, fishing, the amazing enormity of the Sierra. Spent youth there for week at a time, sometimes backpack and sometimes horse pack. Looking for partners to do training hikes in Southern Sierra and So Cal area for 1-3 nights out to get in better shape! I do 5-15 miles a day but try to enjoy the trek and not just to do miles. I am a veterinarian by training. My fishing is usually catch and release but also harvest for added protein on a trek. Okay off trail but looking to upgrade skills to reach more remote. Have permits (2) for Lamarck Lakes out of Bishop for two weekends in mid-July. Always game for hiking buddies. Will do Hilton Lakes area August 11-13th to get some high altitude. Love to the the SoCal 6-pack peaks including maybe San Jacinto for a little winter camping. Looking forward to the wisdom of the HST members and perhaps meeting some of you of coming months and years. HIke on!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

HI Bharmandvm,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for the intro and invites. :)

markanthonydj
Topix Newbie

Post by markanthonydj »

Hello... just found this forum. I'm from Long Beach and I love backpacking. I have done quite a few trips on different parts of the JMT. My favorite is Cottonwood to Mt Whitney... peaking Mt Langley along the way. Got to the peak of Whitney early enough to wait for the sunrise.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi MarkAnthonydj,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for the photo. :)

hiac
Topix Acquainted

Post by hiac »

Hello everyone,

Winter finally is gone, and ready to do something.

I have done some backpacking (some solo, some with buddy or guide), primarily in US, some in Canada, Nepal, and Guatemala. Tonquin valley, Skyline Trail, Onion Valley/Rae Lake, Grand Canyon R2R, Wind River (big sandy), buckskin gulch, coyote gulch, Ghorepani Poon Hill.

Numerous day hike in national park, national forest...

1-3 road trip each year. some of my favorite places Alaska, four corner, San Juan mountain, Utah 12
Enjoy Solitude and also enjoy some campfire story
Want to explore areas such as as Wind River (north), weminuche wilderness, Canadian Rockies, Torres del paine in near future.
Want to get into class 3 scrambling, and canyon rappelling
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Hiac,
Welcome to HST! You will find plenty to do in the Sierra. :)