Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Rosabella
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by Rosabella »

Well, I guess I fall into the category of "not new, but back again" as well. I've gone thru some major changes in my life in the last year and half.... in a nutshell - I'm no longer living in Washington State and have moved back to SoCal! Life is pretty wonderful! I'm living in Whitewater Canyon (very near Palm Springs) and I am very happy. I'm a 15 minutes drive to the San Jacinto tram - really convenient for day hikes access. And the Whitewater Canyon has some beautiful area to explore.

Last summer I hiked the JMT again to celebrate this new chapter in my life... what better way to celebrate change than to get back to the trail that I love! :)

It's good to be back home. It's good to see familiar faces on the HST board.... I like the new "look" Eric!!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Rosabella,

Welcome back to HST, and CA! :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
cheese cheese
Topix Newbie

Post by cheese cheese »

Hi! I've been lurking for several years - finally joined today. I fell in love with the outdoors in my 20's when I started grad school in San Diego. I got into rock climbing/bouldering/camping/backpacking/cycling/adventuring during those years and hope to keep it up in my 30's. Looking forward to contributing to these forums.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Cheese,

Welcome to HST! :)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rhyang
Topix Regular

Post by rhyang »

Hey there -- my name is Rob, and I've lived in Silicon Valley for almost 20 years, and visiting the Sierra since then. I used to do a lot of climbing and mountaineering, but age and injuries have curtailed a lot of that, plus my job has been taking up way more of my time in recent years. I started tenkara fishing in the Emigrant Wilderness in July 2014 and the next year started with a "western" fly rod, which has become something of an obsession. I also spin fish on occasion, usually for bass in the local lakes and ponds, or for various surf species in the Monterey Bay (still working on my fly fishing setup for the surf).

This past winter I had surgery to my esophagus (it was a complication related to spinal surgery I had in 2007 after an auto wreck) and spent almost five months with a gastrostomy feeding tube. Wow, that was an eye opener. But I still managed to get out on dayhikes. I got my tube out a couple weeks ago and did my first backpack trip since surgery over Memorial weekend at Henry Coe State Park, fly fishing for bass and sunfish.

May I ask a question of those folks who get up to Orygun : I used to live in Portland for a few years back in the 90's but did not fish at the time. My sister's family moved up there last year and I was thinking of visiting and also throwing in a quick fly-fishing trip, maybe with some backpacking. Any ideas for a nice overnight ? Do alpine lakes in the Cascades have trout like the Sierra ?

Cheers and thanks in advance :)
seanr
Topix Regular

Post by seanr »

rhyang wrote:Hey there -- my name is Rob, and I've lived in Silicon Valley for almost 20 years, and visiting the Sierra since then. I used to do a lot of climbing and mountaineering, but age and injuries have curtailed a lot of that, plus my job has been taking up way more of my time in recent years. I started tenkara fishing in the Emigrant Wilderness in July 2014 and the next year started with a "western" fly rod, which has become something of an obsession. I also spin fish on occasion, usually for bass in the local lakes and ponds, or for various surf species in the Monterey Bay (still working on my fly fishing setup for the surf).

This past winter I had surgery to my esophagus (it was a complication related to spinal surgery I had in 2007 after an auto wreck) and spent almost five months with a gastrostomy feeding tube. Wow, that was an eye opener. But I still managed to get out on dayhikes. I got my tube out a couple weeks ago and did my first backpack trip since surgery over Memorial weekend at Henry Coe State Park, fly fishing for bass and sunfish.

May I ask a question of those folks who get up to Orygun : I used to live in Portland for a few years back in the 90's but did not fish at the time. My sister's family moved up there last year and I was thinking of visiting and also throwing in a quick fly-fishing trip, maybe with some backpacking. Any ideas for a nice overnight ? Do alpine lakes in the Cascades have trout like the Sierra ?

Orgling llama lives! Hi Rob, faster action might be achieved if you ask your question over in the fishing specific sub-forum/fishing hole. I'll say hi if I ever run into you at Coe or the beach.

-Sean

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

rhyang wrote:Hey there -- my name is Rob, and I've lived in Silicon Valley for almost 20 years, and visiting the Sierra since then. I used to do a lot of climbing and mountaineering, but age and injuries have curtailed a lot of that, plus my job has been taking up way more of my time in recent years. I started tenkara fishing in the Emigrant Wilderness in July 2014 and the next year started with a "western" fly rod, which has become something of an obsession. I also spin fish on occasion, usually for bass in the local lakes and ponds, or for various surf species in the Monterey Bay (still working on my fly fishing setup for the surf).

Hey Rob - Great to see you on HST. I had really enjoyed your past TR's and photos on the web (e.g. SP). Cheers.
rhyang
Topix Regular

Post by rhyang »

Shawn wrote:Hey Rob - Great to see you on HST. I had really enjoyed your past TR's and photos on the web (e.g. SP). Cheers.
Hi Shawn, hope you are well !

btw I did find an answer to my question, in case anyone was wondering something similar. Just had to do a bit more googling :) Found this on amazon :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1932098860/

I should bring my saltwater gear and fish for redtail surfperch while I'm up there too ! I've only caught the barred species down here, and a couple of silver / calico surfperch near Cambria over the holidays.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

Hi,
I found you via Google. I am very glad that I did. I am happy to be a new member and promise to always give trail reports...Though I am not nearly as adventurous or experienced as most of you.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Aura,

Welcome to HST! We enjoy all TR's to the Sierra and beyond here at HST. :nod: