McGee Creek - Scheelore Mine?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ccessna
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

McGee Creek - Scheelore Mine?

Post by ccessna »

Planning 5 days/4 nights out of McGee Creek this July. As for our experience - level 3, class 2/3, prefer 6-8 mile days (but capable of 10-12 if necessary).

In trying to determine our itinerary, the Scheelore Mine keeps coming to our attention. I have found relatively little information online about the mine and whether or not it is a worthy side trip.
We plan to spend a day hiking Red Slate Mountain from McGee Pass, and would consider venturing over the pass to Tully Lake or others. I'm really just looking for any information on Scheelore Mine, if there is much to see and explore there, and if it may be a worthy side trip. Any other suggestions for the area would be much appreciated!!!
Thanks!
John Dittli
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: McGee Creek - Scheelore Mine?

Post by John Dittli »

It's a nice hike up to the Sheelore Mine on a very old road, for the hike itself. The mine, as I recall it, is little more then some timbers and an adit
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail