TR 5/20-23: Edyth Redux, Kendrick Creek Falls | High Sierra Topix  

TR 5/20-23: Edyth Redux, Kendrick Creek Falls

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
User avatar

Re: TR 5/20-23: Edyth Redux, Kendrick Creek Falls

Postby fourputt » Tue May 28, 2013 12:30 pm

I saw signs of an old campsite at the falls. Getting over them to the right should be easy tho I have no knowlege of what happens after that.

Image



User avatar
fourputt
Topix Acquainted
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:25 am
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: TR 5/20-23: Edyth Redux, Kendrick Creek Falls

Postby DoyleWDonehoo » Tue May 28, 2013 1:08 pm

RoguePhotonic wrote:Cool to see some pics of what I should expect next week. Hopefully I can climb up the falls to the right.

Either there or at about 600 meters to the NE. Bring bug spray.
Take lots of pictures of Big Island Lake, Bear Lake and especially Peninsula Lake. :nod:
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
User avatar
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member
 
Posts: 480
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:06 pm
Location: San Jose, CA
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: TR 5/20-23: Edyth Redux, Kendrick Creek Falls

Postby RoguePhotonic » Tue May 28, 2013 5:23 pm

My only concern above the falls is the satellite view shows smooth granite on both sides of the river but it's impossible to tell if it is steep or an easy stroll. Either way as Doyle said there looks like a place to get up to the NE.

I don't plan on visiting those lakes though. I'm going straight up Kendrick Creek to Twin Lakes.
User avatar
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
 
Posts: 1668
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:52 am
Location: Bakersfield CA
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

User avatar

Re: TR 5/20-23: Edyth Redux, Kendrick Creek Falls

Postby tomba » Tue May 28, 2013 10:02 pm

Here are some photos a trip a 10 days earlier that could help you (click to see larger version):

IMG_1640-kendrick-creek-falls-zoom-lofi.jpeg

IMG_1656-kendrick-creek-falls-crop-lofi.jpeg
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
User avatar
tomba
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Bay Area
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

User avatar

Re: TR 5/20-23: Edyth Redux, Kendrick Creek Falls

Postby Scouter9 » Wed May 29, 2013 8:27 am

I love getting to see and read about areas well-outside my little box of familiarity in the eastern Sierra. Great photos, too! Thanks for taking the time to post it all.
User avatar
Scouter9
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:23 am
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: TR 5/20-23: Edyth Redux, Kendrick Creek Falls

Postby murphtron » Thu May 30, 2013 2:14 pm

@fourputt, is this the route you followed from the trail across Frog to Edyth lake? I'm guessing the pic of the large tarn is the one in the map at elevation 7385. Correct or no?

Mapped Route to Edyth

Cheers.
mtron
User avatar
murphtron
Topix Acquainted
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:32 am
Location: Berkeley, CA
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: TR 5/20-23: Edyth Redux, Kendrick Creek Falls

Postby giantbrookie » Thu May 30, 2013 2:46 pm

murphtron wrote:@fourputt, is this the route you followed from the trail across Frog to Edyth lake? I'm guessing the pic of the large tarn is the one in the map at elevation 7385. Correct or no?

Cheers.
mtron

I don't know fourputt's exact route but I can tell you that the route you've shown on the topo is almost on the best route except that I would put it precisely through the low point in the ridge and then descend, dodging various thickets of brush and small cliffs. I did this coming out of Edyth on a loop trip that dropped into L 5680+ (lake downstream of Edyth) from the vicinity of Laurel L. I've also been to Edyth following the north side of Kendrick after dropping in from Cherry Lake (much, much harder with horrific brush).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html
User avatar
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
 
Posts: 2439
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:22 am
Location: Fresno
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: TR 5/20-23: Edyth Redux, Kendrick Creek Falls

Postby murphtron » Thu May 30, 2013 4:05 pm

giantbrookie wrote:I don't know fourputt's exact route but I can tell you that the route you've shown on the topo is almost on the best route except that I would put it precisely through the low point in the ridge and then descend, dodging various thickets of brush and small cliffs.


@giantbrookie, to which ridge to you refer? The low point from Moraine Ridge @7800ft down to the tarn? Or the ridge NW of Frog Creek (just SW of the route shown on the topo)?

I remember years ago you gave me advice on getting to Edyth via Cherry Creek. We bailed while looking down upon Edyth from Nance Peak after scrambling up from Spotted Fawn.

All of a sudden I'm considering bailing on my planned loop route to follow the W Fork of Cherry Creek north to Hyatt Lake and then down the main fork of Cherry and back out. Instead going to Edyth Lake up Kendrick to Upper Peninsula Lake and then somehow scrambling out to Otter Lake and a forced march back down the PCT to the trailhead @ Hetch Hetchy. Hmmm... not sure I can do that in 4 days.
User avatar
murphtron
Topix Acquainted
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:32 am
Location: Berkeley, CA
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: TR 5/20-23: Edyth Redux, Kendrick Creek Falls

Postby fourputt » Thu May 30, 2013 4:46 pm

Forgive my mspaint skills, but pretty close. I actually found ducks passing the largest tarn on the NE slipping between two knobs to Frog Creek.

I included the ducked route above the campsite with my visit to the inlet in green. The crack heading NE from the inlet was easier going than coming down but required getting by some cliffs from the shore.

Image

And I removed this signpost at the rim heading to the tarns.

Image
User avatar
fourputt
Topix Acquainted
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:25 am
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: TR 5/20-23: Edyth Redux, Kendrick Creek Falls

Postby murphtron » Thu May 30, 2013 5:24 pm

@fourputt thanks for the map and intel. Much appreciated. Is there good camping near the bottom of Kendrick falls?
User avatar
murphtron
Topix Acquainted
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:32 am
Location: Berkeley, CA
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: TR 5/20-23: Edyth Redux, Kendrick Creek Falls

Postby giantbrookie » Thu May 30, 2013 9:11 pm

murphtron wrote:
giantbrookie wrote:I don't know fourputt's exact route but I can tell you that the route you've shown on the topo is almost on the best route except that I would put it precisely through the low point in the ridge and then descend, dodging various thickets of brush and small cliffs.


@giantbrookie, to which ridge to you refer? The low point from Moraine Ridge @7800ft down to the tarn? Or the ridge NW of Frog Creek (just SW of the route shown on the topo)?

I remember years ago you gave me advice on getting to Edyth via Cherry Creek. We bailed while looking down upon Edyth from Nance Peak after scrambling up from Spotted Fawn.

All of a sudden I'm considering bailing on my planned loop route to follow the W Fork of Cherry Creek north to Hyatt Lake and then down the main fork of Cherry and back out. Instead going to Edyth Lake up Kendrick to Upper Peninsula Lake and then somehow scrambling out to Otter Lake and a forced march back down the PCT to the trailhead @ Hetch Hetchy. Hmmm... not sure I can do that in 4 days.

The saddle I refer to is on the Frog-Kendrick divide. I suspect the line missing the optimal route is more of an electronic drafting thing than anything else. As for the Moraine Ridge cutover the western part of that route through the gap is fine, but as you get above those unnamed lakes don't descend directly but stay above the cliffs by continuing north a bit so as to get easier slopes to descend to Frog Creek by. In other words you want to come down upstream or east of the highest and more easterly of the unnamed lakes. Your planned Edyth-Peninsula etc. loop sounds pretty extreme for 4 days. The loop I did with my wife and a friend back in '92 went to 5680+ on day 1 Edyth on day 2 unnamed lake S of Bearup on day 3 and out on day 4. That was a moderately paced trip, at least for days 2 and 3 (1 and 4 were fairly strenuous). Stretching such a 4-day loop all the way up to Peninsula is doable, certainly, but you would have little time to relax and take it in.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html
User avatar
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
 
Posts: 2439
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:22 am
Location: Fresno
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: TR 5/20-23: Edyth Redux, Kendrick Creek Falls

Postby fourputt » Thu May 30, 2013 10:04 pm

There's what looks like an old small campsite at the falls. If I'd known about it I'd have gone there on Day 2 and dropped back down to Edyth on Day 3.
User avatar
fourputt
Topix Acquainted
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:25 am
Experience: N/A

Previous

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: fishmonger, Google Adsense [Bot], maverick and 17 guests