Edison Lake to Mosquito Flat------Exposure question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
canadug
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Edison Lake to Mosquito Flat------Exposure question

Post by canadug »

My 9 year old daughter and I are planning on doing this trip, west to east, this summer. For people who have done this trip do you remember if there were any spots where there was exposure (Large drop-offs, steep switch-backs with drop-offs)???

We have done a few trips and exposure causes some trepidation for my daughter. I have read TR's and looked at Topo's but it is really hard to get that kind of detail from those sources.

Thank you so much.
Ken M
Topix Acquainted

Re: Edison Lake to Mosquito Flat------Exposure question

Post by Ken M »

canadug wrote:do you remember if there were any spots where there was exposure (Large drop-offs, steep switch-backs with drop-offs)???
No.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

It has been along time since I've hiked that route Cana (1981, went the other way), but my recollection is no. Nothing overly steep and I don't recall much for exposure on the two trips I've gone over Mono Pass. There is some loose scree right above Trail Lakes on the west side of Mono, but I don't recall any exposure issues. In fact I recall scooting off the side of the trail to let a pack train pass. Some switchbacks on the eastern side that are pretty steep, but again, I don't recall there being anything overly exposed along the trail.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

A little steep yes as you head up to Trail Lakes, but no exposure or cliffs. It may
help if you could tell us what section/sections have bothered her before, but it
is most likely you all will be just fine.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
RiseToADry
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by RiseToADry »

The LLV side of mono pass is a little steep and has some steep drop offs, as well as the trail up to trail lakes. It's not terrible - I've been on worse (old army pass) but something to consider...
canadug
Topix Novice

Post by canadug »

Thank you so much for the beta.

I have spent quite a bit of time in the Sierra's but now live back in Canada. She gets a little stressed out at spots where there are big dropoffs on a narrow trail. Up here there are many trails with big dropoffs but there is usually a lot of trees and vegetation to obscure the dropoffs so it is not as big of a deal.

We work through those tough spots.

Thanks again.....This is a great website :eek:
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

I hiked a lot of this stretch last year and think you'll love it. I have a few photos from Mono Pass on my trip report here:

http://calitrails.com/2012/07/11/mosqui ... ed-before/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
coneill
Topix Novice

Post by coneill »

I just did that trip last year with my 9 year old daughter (and 11 year old son). Nothing to worry about in terms of exposure. It's just a fantastic trip with kiddos!
"You have the ability to move mountains. You can bend rivers. But when I get home, the only thing I have power over, is the garbage." - Bob Ross

Fine art wilderness images and workshops:
http://www.coryjoneillphotography.com
Sandcrab
Topix Newbie

Post by Sandcrab »

coneill wrote:I just did that trip last year with my 9 year old daughter (and 11 year old son). Nothing to worry about in terms of exposure. It's just a fantastic trip with kiddos!
I'll second that. Three years ago I took my (then) 10-yr-old out & back Mosquito Flat to 4th Recess. If anything, the altitudinous section over Mono Pass will help reduce fear of steep. There's nothing truly dangerous & several more level stretches along the west side that will provide both relaxation & a sense of accomplishment to the wee ones. Highly recommended.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Welcome to HST Sandcrab, and thank you for your input. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org